Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNC or Laser?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by rjssigns, Sep 11, 2019.

1. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Sold my old printer to make room for the new printer. Wife recently said she wants a laser. I'd like to have a small format CNC with 4'x4' cut area.

Products...? Industrial equipment tags for the time being. Other than that grow into the rig.

What do the Signs 101 experts say?

Tags:
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Cnc router is much more flexible if you get a good one, laser has severe limitations to what it can process. We have both and I would start over again with a cnc unless all of my work could be done on a laser.

3. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Thank you for information. I also think a CNC would be a better choice. Found some Gerber 404's on the web. Look to be built like a tank.

Now to tell the wife...

4. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Be a good guy and tell her she can have the laser.

JB

laser.jpg

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Thanks James. I'll show her your reply.:D

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  6. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    If you want to "grow into it", it probably makes sense for your first CNC to be a traditional one. Then, when you eventually outgrow it, add a laser and/or waterjet.

Unless you need particular capabilities that a laser might be better for, like wood burning.

7. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    I have both and the CNC router used more then the laser.

8. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Laser - Straight Cuts and Engraving. Going to be limited by the laser that you can afford. Will depend if your able to cut through wood and aluminum or if your only going to be able to engrave on wood and aluminum.

Traditional Router - Cheaper price Point. Greater range of ability. Far more materials you can use. More finishing options as well.

Although a laser would be perfect for small tag engraving. Just buy blank tags and engrave away.

Going to get about 1/3 the size of a laser machine as you could afford if you went the traditional router way.

9. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Industrial tags is way too vague.

For a sign shop, I'd say a CNC Router is more valuable. It won't take that many cut letter projects to justify the cost.

If you're looking to do smalls, the laser a more efficient machine in many regards. Setup and production is typically more straight forward

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OPENSignsInc.

OPENSignsInc. Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Greenville, PA
    Id get a CNC, you can sometimes get a laser module to strap to the side depending on what brand you get.

11. mark-s

mark-s Active Member

May 11, 2005
    SoCal
    I went with a 4X4 diy cnc and love it.
    Can do nice size signs and smaller things.
    mark-s

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
  13. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Mark S.Mark S. nice stuff! What kit did you buy and what software do you use, Vcarve? What about control UCCNC or a DSP?

14. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We have 2 lasers, there have been times I have considered a CNC router, however there is a guy around the corner with one that we send stuff out to when needed.

Keep in mind a CNC requires a bit more planning, they are loud and dusty, so you need to have a way of keeping the dust out of the rest of your shop.

The lasers require punching a hole in the wall and running an exhaust system to the outside,. You can't cut anything with PVC in a laser, and most of the machines you would be looking at can't cut metal either, you are limited to wood and acrylic really.

15. mark-s

mark-s Active Member

May 11, 2005
    SoCal
    TomK it was a pieces and parts thing, A friend of mine a tech wizard put it all together.
    I was just the helper.
    It works well and I love it.
    mark-s

16. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Wow neat rig! Not 40 grand worth of neat for me though.

4'x4' CNC is what I'll focus on.

If I need laser work I use a shop run by guys I used to work with. Their "big rig" is a 10,000w Hitachi. They also added a waterjet to their lineup.

17. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We are trying to get a demo set up... We want the 6x12 with 9kw auto tool changer and 200w kern for acrylic cutting and metal engraving.

18. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Nice! Sounds like a beast and ATC is awesome. In prototyping class we ran Haas VMC's with tool changers.

Can't wait to hear what you find out.

19. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I have a Chicom laser [3x4' 130w] and a 2x4 shopbot and use the laser 50x as much- no holddown and very fast. Totally different beasts, a hybrid would not be a good idea IMHO. Depends on what you do.