• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC people

Mosh

Don't do any CNC work but....can you cover a peice of say cedar, with vinyl and route it. then spray it with paint then remove the vinyl. AKA use the vinyl as a stencil. Or will the router mess up the film, or gum up the tool? I do stuff like this by hand and am looking for a faster way as I could sell alot if I have a faster way to do it.

iSign

works with PVC or acrylic...
haven't tried it with cedar, but if the vinyl sticks good, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

can we see a pic of the typical finished product you're making,
in case there are other approaches worth mentioning?

I'll post an example pic of another approach I've done last week, that may be worth keeping in mind if you explore subbing out more CNC work (or buying one)

WildWestDesigns

CNC work that I do is loading a pattern into the router's computer and then let it mill it out for me. Much like my embroidery machine. Only time I use a template is when they are wanting me to replicate an accent of some type and I have to use a probe to scan it first and then mill it out.

GB2

Old Member
Yes, you can definately do what you suggested, you would just use a proper masking material though, not standard vinyl.

Fitch

Can be done - but there are some "conditions".

Depends on what you want it to look like. I would use these steps:

1) Spray / roll the cedar with your finish coat. Allow to dry completely.

2) Apply a "removeable" vinyl

3) Route through vinyl with (either) a V bit (or small bit - make sure it is downward spiral, otherwise may lift the vinyl and not make for a clean cut.)

4) Apply a choke coat in now routered text or design - that is coat(s) of clear (or whatever colour the cedar is if coated) to seal the edges. If you do not do this, you will potentially end up with rough / jagged edges.

5) allow to semi dry and peel vinyl off in an outward motion, away from character. If possible, follow character.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - G

John L

If you want to just clear coat the cedar face as a finish surface (instead of paint). You can just carve it through a regular vinyl mask, or even just pounce it on the cedar. Paint the carved areas and let it dry. Then buzz a belt sander over the face and clear coat the whole piece (clear coat must be compatible with your carved area paint color of course).

Test some small pieces and you'll find your way.