• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC-routed sign - mahogany?

ruffback

Anyone got any experience or thoughts on working with this wood type for a CNC-routed sign?

I attached a mock-up for the design plus a prototype we routed out of pine.

We're basically looking for a nice, durable wood for routing / staining. Joe Crumley and a few others (thanks all!) suggested Cedar might best but the samples we got were a bit lacking in visible grain. My client is wanting to go for mahogany for some reason but I'm concerned about price/ durability. Also what's the deal with choosing wood that's vertical grain rather than horizontal? I know next to nothing about this.

We bought some Sikkens Cetol stain.

Thanks all as usual!

Jason

Attachments

• new wood closeup.jpg
    new wood closeup.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMAG0259 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0259 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 153

nwsigns

If price is a concern then Mahogany is a problem. There are various types of Mahogany with some (phillipine) not actually Mahogany at all. Honduras is the best bet but will vary in grain so put eyeballs on it if possible. Its hard to get as well. Find a local exotic hardwood place and ask them what your options are.

It routes beautiful and is very durable, we have routed some big (3' x 10') boat panels from it with Sikkens - awesome.

Small intricate areas can be a problem with any wood due to the grain as they may pop off so careful tooling is important.

tbullo

Superunknown
We have had good luck using mahogany and sapele. Used both types of wood outdoors coated with cetol marine light and gloss coat. We have several cabinet shops walking distance from our shop and we usally can hit them up for pieces of sapele. Real mahogany is harder to find but you can find it at exotic wood stores.