Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNC-routed sign - mahogany?

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by ruffback, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ruffback

ruffback New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Anyone got any experience or thoughts on working with this wood type for a CNC-routed sign?

I attached a mock-up for the design plus a prototype we routed out of pine.

We're basically looking for a nice, durable wood for routing / staining. Joe Crumley and a few others (thanks all!) suggested Cedar might best but the samples we got were a bit lacking in visible grain. My client is wanting to go for mahogany for some reason but I'm concerned about price/ durability. Also what's the deal with choosing wood that's vertical grain rather than horizontal? I know next to nothing about this.

We bought some Sikkens Cetol stain.

Thanks all as usual!

Jason

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. nwsigns

nwsigns Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Monroe wa
    If price is a concern then Mahogany is a problem. There are various types of Mahogany with some (phillipine) not actually Mahogany at all. Honduras is the best bet but will vary in grain so put eyeballs on it if possible. Its hard to get as well. Find a local exotic hardwood place and ask them what your options are.

It routes beautiful and is very durable, we have routed some big (3' x 10') boat panels from it with Sikkens - awesome.

Small intricate areas can be a problem with any wood due to the grain as they may pop off so careful tooling is important.

3. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    We have had good luck using mahogany and sapele. Used both types of wood outdoors coated with cetol marine light and gloss coat. We have several cabinet shops walking distance from our shop and we usally can hit them up for pieces of sapele. Real mahogany is harder to find but you can find it at exotic wood stores.