• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC router near Naperville Illinois

diamondavenue

This board has always been really helpful. I am creating a snow stamp for my clothing company and was hoping someone near me had a cnc router and would be willing to help. I just need a logo approximate 15" x 13" or so cut of of 1-2" thick wood. I have started doing it by hand but after tracing and creating templates its really taking longer than I anticipated. Anyone out there willing to help I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Anthony

Brandon708

a snow stamp? Sounds cool. So you want to make a big stamp to put in fresh snow? Sounds like a great idea. lol

What does you logo look like?

GP

Can't help you, though I did graduate from Naperville Central in 1992, back in the Redskin era.

Good luck and please have a Portillos for me.

GP

diamondavenue

The idea sounds ridiculous, but in practice it looks pretty good. It is for my clothing company I have with my brother, he is out in Breckenridge so its a little more logical for use. The logo is essentially 3 letters which together make up the companies entire name.

Brandon708

The idea sounds ridiculous, but in practice it looks pretty good. It is for my clothing company I have with my brother, he is out in Breckenridge so its a little more logical for use. The logo is essentially 3 letters which together make up the companies entire name.

I think its a great idea.

Post up your logo so I can see what it looks like.

Portillos is awesome.

diamondavenue

Hopefully this works.
Stamp

diamondavenue

Portillos is good, but there is better in the area depending on what you want. Now on to the picture is there something special I have to do to post here? The picture is linked to my picasa account.

dman0427

Maybe this will help. Click the pic for instructions.

How thick is the material?

If you have a vector file I'll help you out.
You ship it to me, I'll cut it on the CNC & ship it back... you pay for shipping.

:signs101:

Attachments

• Instructions.jpg
    Instructions.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 111

diamondavenue

dman thanks for the offer I am talking to one guy locally right now, if he falls through I will definitely contact you, and thanks for the attachment info also. I am thinking I would like it about 2" thick what material would you suggest, I thought wood to be durable and keep costs low but also heard plastic may be a better option. appreciate everyones help.

Attachments

• Stamp24in.jpg
    Stamp24in.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 135

dman0427

Wood should work for a temporary application. I guess you plan on using multiple pieces of thinner material like 1/2" thick? Make all the cuts, attach them together until you get 2" thick?

Are the letters going to be pressed into the snow? or is the stamp going to make the letters raised up out of the snow?

I guess I'm asking which part is the negative space in your image?

diamondavenue

I was thinking it would have to be multiple pieces attached together and then onto a back plate with handles. letters are going to be pressed into the snow. thats the reason I thought wood would be best is to get enough pressure and not worry about breakage. i figure i could always paint it for longevity.

dman0427

Sounds like it *wood* work... sorry for the corniness.

PVC is another option. Less expensive than plastic, but more expensive than wood.
Its a synthetic material so it's not going to deteriorate like wood.

diamondavenue

I thought wood was the cheapest option, but the one local guy I found sounded like plastic was about the same cost wise. what option would you go with?
Thanks

dman0427

I guess it just seems that plastic would last longer than wood.

Wood will probably be easier to work with. For instance, you can drive a nail directly into wood to hold things together. But not with plastic.

Really it depends on how everything is getting put together and how long do you want it to last.

diamondavenue

Thanks, my thought was wood is east to join and I can coat it to protect from elements. to keep everything aligned do you think it would be best to cut one like half depth and add layers on top or put a small connector then cut it out after?
I know I have alot of questions I havent worked directly with a cnc router before.

dman0427

If you cut one layer halfway thru the material it will make it easier to keep aligned when assembling the piece.
Cut everything and then assemble.