• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC router owners.... compressor questions

iSign

I should be pulling the trigger on a Multicam purchase in the next week or so, and I have done a bit of research on the proper compressor size to go with the 3000 series. (or specifically the 3103-R on my quote)

Dan Swatzky has given me specs on what I saw at the recent workshop I attended at his shop, but he also said that although his "works", it was underpowered & not ideal. I spoke to ColumbiaSigns a week ago too, and may call him again, but a sudden opportunity just came up, and I was hoping for a little instant feedback this morning to help me make a quick decision.

My local supplier who quoted a price to ship in an Ingersoll-Rand for me, happened to have a mini welding trade show/tent sale yesterday, which I attended to try out some welders and plasma cutters. When I spoke to the sales gal who worked on my compressor quote, she mentioned unexpectedly having one compressor on sale for the tent sale.

It happened to be on hand, from a cancelled order, and is reduced about $800 below the quote I had been given, plus it's already here on Maui. It won't last long, so I plan to pick it up in a few hours, unless I determine it to be insufficient for my needs.

Multicam has indicated that the equipment requirements are "5HP motor, with a 60-80 gal. tank, putting out 15-20 CFM at 100PSI"

The model 2475N7.5P seems to be more then adequate, with specs of 7.5HP, 80 Gal. 24 CFM at 175PSI, although it also indicates a Max PSI of 175, which I believe is lower then what Dan quoted me on his Ingersoll-Rand.

The price is $2200, and I'd be looking at paying over $3000 to get the same thing, on a different day, and who knows how much higher for a more powerful model. Multicam quoted me $7500 for a Kaeser brand with slightly lower capacity, but including a dryer in the same unit.

I figured I'd ask for any feedback from actual sign guys using routers, so I get the most applicible information, instead of releying on sales people.

I will be getting an air dryer with whatever compressor I end up with. Does that reduce the output rated on the compressor specs?

I'll also be asking for info on dust collection systems soon, although it is not of immediate concern today. If anyone wants to make suggestions, I'd be happy to hear real-world recommendations in this regard as well.

GB2

Old Member
I think Tom had some very definite opinions about those items...I think you should give him a call.

iSign

Thanks Gary, great idea!

Just realized I should mention for those with different machines... the compressor will be running an air-cooled pneumatic chuck spindle, with an auto tool-changer, so maintaining a constant supply of the proper CFM is critical, as is the need for clean, dry air.

iSign

uhhhh... yeah, I really ought to get to that. After 3 weeks gone, I've been trying to get things caught up.

Last Sunday I finally sorted, cropped, (and tweaked as needed) about 300 photos from the various trips within my trip. I also sorted, and named a dozen or more video segments.

Soon, I will report how amazingly valuable I found the entire experience to be, along with links to slideshows etc.

iSign

nah... I just like to create that illusion so my tool junkie addiction will look like it supports itself :Big Laugh