• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Router

Artworks

Artworks
Which is best, most versatile router? I have only had experience with using a Gerber a few years back, but I am interested in other models and their comparisons...

SebastienL

Yes, what SignManiac said plus what do you want to do with it?

That will determine what options you want. After that, it will be much easier to answer what is the best router for you.

For now, All I can answer is: "That depends..."

Cheers!

I've been researching this same thing very hard the last couple of weeks since I'm wanting to get a smaller CNC.
So far I like Torchmate, Shopbot, CamMaster, and E-Z router. I saw one of the E-Z routers last week and it's a very nice machine.
Also I think customer support is important. If you feel up to the task for building one yourself (depending on what you're using it for) Fine Line Automation has kits for CNC routers up to 4'x8'.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

SignManiac

I have a 5X10 Multicam that is 13 years old now and has served me well. Mine came to about $70k once it was paid off. The one option that wasn't available at the time was a automatic tool changer for my model and that's my one and only regret. Should I invest in another table that will be on it. Most of the router tables out there are good machines for the most part. Depending on how much you want to learn, you might really want support. I didn't have any real instruction and pretty much taught myself, which was and expensive education. Materials and bits aren't cheap.

You could do the direct import from China if you feel comfortable learning or have somebody that can help you set it up. You would save a ton of money and pi$$ everyone off for not buying American. But I would bet most American machines use foreign parts and are mostly assembled here like everything else.

Absolutely get a good vacuum hold down system.But in answer to you question about which one to buy. Find some nearby shops that run various machines and ask them pros and cons, and maybe they will let you drop buy and see their systems in action. The big name brands are almost guaranteed to be good though.