• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coaster Design

WildWestDesigns

Here is something that I was working on for some hardtop coasters. This is already been approved, I just wanted to see what y'all thought. Always look for feedback to improve. Thanks!!!

picture.php

Locals Find!

Overall pretty good. Basic to the point. Only thing I didn't like personally was the red text on the red band, but hey the customer liked it. So thats all that really matters.

Very Nice.

Locals Find!

Typically I don't do that either.

Here is what it looks like after printed.

picture.php

Did you print them or did someone else? The Art looks like it got squished somehow on the coaster doesn't look quite as round more oblong.

Maybe next time with that art you should do a circular coaster would have played better to your design.

WildWestDesigns

Did you print them or did someone else? The Art looks like it got squished somehow on the coaster doesn't look quite as round more oblong.

Maybe next time with that art you should do a circular coaster would have played better to your design.

It's not quite round, especially on the inner track(which is what they wanted) and I think some of it is more pronounced with the cropping of the picture to fit it on this site.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm not a designer (or a very good critic) so take this with a grain of salt:

I don't care for it much.
All the elements look too flat & simple - gives me the impression of pieced together clipart.
The arc of the main lettering across the top is distorted.
The two lone black strokes around the outer plants look out of place.

To make this work I would:
Fix the text
Add detail to all the objects in the layout to make them more interesting.
Change up the strokes to colors that match up with the rest of the layout - try adding some to the larger elements to help tie the whole thing together.

Good luck with this,
someone who knows what they are doing is bound to post here soon with some better direction.

wayne k
guam usa

WildWestDesigns

All the elements look too flat & simple - gives me the impression of pieced together clipart.

Illustrator files tend to be simple and flat. It is a 2D program especially CS4. Now it does have some 3D capabilities, but not a lot. I also tend not to like to do too much. It's always easier to add stuff in then it is to take it away.

The arc of the main lettering across the top is distorted.

That's actually good. I did do a distort when I arced the text.

The two lone black strokes around the outer plants look out of place.

Which black strokes are you talking about around the plants? The only black strokes that I have around the plants are apart of them.

Good luck with this,
someone who knows what they are doing is bound to post here soon with some better direction.

You did fine. I appreciate all comments. That's how I learn and think about things.

Pat Whatley

That's actually good. I did do a distort when I arced the text.

So you purpously made the lettering look whompused instead of following the curve of the circle?

Which black strokes are you talking about around the plants? The only black strokes that I have around the plants are apart of them.

The black strokes around the "plants?" give them more weight that the lettering or the graphic. A darker green would have worked better than a harsh black.

All in all it's okay, they're just chipboard coasters. The artwork for the cactus and the "plants?" really could have used some work but I don't know if they had the budget to do it better.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Critiquing something is kinda lame because the standby response is "the customer liked it"... who gives a shweeze. You are trying to improve.... the client wanting jerked up copy or design is odd... they would never be shown/or made that unless they handed me the artwork. I would have designed to the exact specified measurements.

There are some newbie oditties in the layout...

--- one is the text distortion
--- stretchy type, especially the bottom.
--- things were not mirrored/lined up well.
--- The outlines make the design too busy.
--- I would have made the cactus pop more and maybe break out if the area a little bit.
--- give Senor Napolitos a little more character.
--- check alignments. (seems to be riding a little high on the green outer radius)

The layout below is to show how the logotype probably should have been done... Senor Napalitos was made from a an old layout.. i p[inched the sombrero and eyes and drew up a quick cactus. (I do admit to stretching the bottom type a tiny bit.. I have sinned)

What you did should probably never end up in a portfolio... after visiting your website, you do need some better pieces to show off. It's not an evil thing to show something better on your site, even if your original job is less than praiseworthy and/or the client has no taste.

It's the best of both worlds, you get paid for the work, you can show a better design and lure better clients.

Attachments

• mexi grill.jpg
    mexi grill.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 103

WildWestDesigns

they would never be shown/or made that unless they handed me the artwork. I would have designed to the exact specified measurements.

You are right, there are some things that were handed to me and/or were given to me in instruction.

Alignment like that is something that I wouldn't have done as it's too easy in Illustrator to create two circles and just scale one to 80-90%, whatever it needed to be.

Some of the other stuff though is my bad though.

signmeup

I like the little cactus guy you used. I just think he should be bigger.

Attachments

• MexicaliGrill.jpg
    MexicaliGrill.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 70