• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coating for HDU signs?

Mountain Surf

I just got a HDU sandblasted sign back from Signetics who had done a great job...they use a clear hardcoat under the blast which seems great because
A. the mat sticks great to it and B. apparently there's no primer needed and the paint "lasts forever" . They were not willing to give out the info on this, anyone know what I can use to do the other borders and signs in the future that is similar, or does anyone know what this stuff is?

Letterbox Mike

Good luck with the no primer needed. They used to do our sandblasting (we're about 5 minutes from them, before we found Blue Ridge Fabrication), but we always, always always had issues with paint sticking to that stuff, regardless of what type of paint we used. We even had finishes fail that they painted in house. I don't know what it is, but I assume it's some sort of acrylic or polyurethane clear. I'd suggest heavily sanding the surface (the clear is only on the raised surface, not in the blasted areas) so it at least has plenty of bite, then priming with SignPrime or Killz.

SARAH RUBIN

Good luck with the no primer needed. They used to do our sandblasting (we're about 5 minutes from them, before we found Blue Ridge Fabrication), but we always, always always had issues with paint sticking to that stuff, regardless of what type of paint we used. We even had finishes fail that they painted in house. I don't know what it is, but I assume it's some sort of acrylic or polyurethane clear. I'd suggest heavily sanding the surface (the clear is only on the raised surface, not in the blasted areas) so it at least has plenty of bite, then priming with SignPrime or Killz.
I saw your post and would really appreciate the opportunity to bid on any of your projects. We do it all and we do it right. We do SANDBLASTING, HUD, V-GROOVE, CNC AND MONUMENTS. We are considered one of the best and most competitive wholesale
shops in the biz. Our monuments tend to run about 10-15% less expensive than other
companies out there.

Thank you for your time.
sarah
www.sandblasted.com
sarah@signdesignandfabrication.com