Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coating over white washed cedar...

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by signecbaum, May 15, 2017.

1. signecbaum

signecbaum New Member

May 5, 2017
    New Orleans
    I am putting together a carved cedar sign for a client who wants a whitewash finish on the face of the sign. I have been told by some 'old school' sign painters to only use varnish for coating wood (that is not already sealed with paint) but I do not want the yellow tint of varnish over the whitewash. Looking for some guidance on products and process.

Thank you

2. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Inside or outside? Water based whitewash? Acrylic varnishes dry clear...I would ask the professionals at the paint store.

We use to Varnish and use Polyurethanes a lot back in the 70's and 80's, we experimented a lot with stained wood outdoor signs and like old wooden
    boats, they had to be refinished every 2 years, this was in Ohio.

3. studio 440

studio 440 Member

Jul 19, 2010
    cali

4. signecbaum

signecbaum New Member

May 5, 2017
    New Orleans
    exterior sign, oil based paint. i want it to be a lasting product (more than 2 years!)

5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    AwlGrip makes a polyester urethane clear topcoat named Awlwood which will last a long time outdoors, mainly used for the boating industry because of the harsh conditions they are in.
    Two part mixture and they have a reducer that helps with flow if you are applying with brush or roller.
    If you are in the New Orleans area I am sure their will be a marine supply that carries it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Do they want a weathered look? Sounds like it. In which case I would just apply a clear penetrating preservative (after testing to see if it changes the white wash color). If they want a more finished look then the two part marine clear is the best bet. In either case it will require maintenance.