• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coke art

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Got a pirate the thread question for you old wall dogs -

Back in the day, when you would paint brands on the side of Pharmacies, corner stores and gas stations, did you get permission to use the Cheerwine, Pepsi, Martha White's logos? And who paid, the store owner of the distributor?

Just curious when and how this evolved.

GP

Usually the Corporate companies had its own painters that traveled around the country.

Back in the late 60's and 70's... I used to do a lot of signs for Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up and Maier's Bakery for Corner Grocery stores. All the logos were provided and I just painted in the names of the store owners on the electric signs and painted them on the windows. They had adhesive backed decals that were screen printed of various sizes for most applications. Where logos had to be reproduced, you were given drawings and had to make your painting look identical. No one ever really tried this much on their own as they do with computers today, so there seemed to be no need for a Logo Police Squad.

The Corporate usually paid 100% of all costs.

Poconopete

Got a pirate the thread question for you old wall dogs -

Back in the day, when you would paint brands on the side of Pharmacies, corner stores and gas stations, did you get permission to use the Cheerwine, Pepsi, Martha White's logos? And who paid, the store owner of the distributor?

Just curious when and how this evolved.

GP
Copyright law was different then. http://librarycopyright.net/digitalslider/
Trademarks are something else to consider.