• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold Calling???

Jon Aston

I generally decide to stay out of discussions like this because there is just so much misunderstanding and misinformation...it seems impossible to know where to begin.

What you need is a marketing concept, plan and supporting process. Cold calls may or may not be a part of your process. They can have their place, but, on their own, they aren't likely to be particularly effective. On it's own, direct mail isn't particularly effective either(broadly speaking), and is especially ineffective if you don't understand the medium, or have an unclear or untargeted message. The same goes for any other medium, from websites, to yellow pages...to signs. To suggest that sales, or advertising are basically just a numbers game is so wrong, I almost don't know what to say. Repetition matters, but certainly doesn't come close to a providing a complete answer for reaching the right customers, at the right time, with the right message.

Acquiring new customers is important, but certainly no more important (and probably less, depending on your business situation) than investing in developing plans and systems for increasing business with (and referrals from) your existing customers. You've already invested (time and money) in acquiring and retaining an existing customer. They already know, like and trust you...and therefore take ALOT less time and effort to "sell" to.

Sorry for the rant. No insults intended.

:rock-n-roll:

SignManiac

Buy thirty plain white envelopes. In twenty nine of those envelopes, insert a single dollar bill. In the thirtieth envelope put a $20.00 bill.

Walk into every place of business and apologize if you might be wasting their time but explain that you have an offer they can't refuse. Tell them you would like ten minutes of their time and that you would be willing to pay them for their valuable time.

Show them the stack of envelopes, especially the one containing the twenty and tell them the others envelopes contain a dollar bill. Shuffle them up and after you spend your ten minutes introducing yourself and showing them your wares, have them pick any one envelopes from the stack. If they pick the twenty its theirs. Otherwise they are guaranteed at least a buck for a few minutes.

A buck for ten minutes face to face time with a potential new client is still cheaper and better than direct mail or yellow page ads.

Don't ask me if it works but I think its a creative outside the box approach to cold calling.

Jon Aston

I'm all for creative, outside the box approaches...and Hooters girls...but cold calling and/or creative alternatives still aren't much of a marketing strategy.

D&Tgraphics

Thanks everyone. I was just throwing out some ideas. I know that it would be better if I was to make the calls but that is something that I just can't do. I have tried the mailers, not much luck. I'm not hurting for business by any means at all. I'm just always up for getting more and figured I would see what you all thought, and as always got some fantastic feedback. Well, back to the drawing board. :)

Last edited:

D&Tgraphics

Oh Boy! I googled up Lockport, NY. Population just over 22,000.

I don't think I could make it in such a small market.

I agree Gordy, I couldn't make it if this town was my only customer base. We spread out to all the towns and cities around us which include Niagara Falls and Buffalo.

CMRGRAFIX

I have been in the industrial sales business for the last 5 years. During those five years I have built a rather large customer base. So, big in fact that I cannot cover all of them in one weeks time. So often I cold call as I travel from customer to customer just check in to see if there is anything they have for me to quote. It works well once you build your relationship with your customer base. Cold calling right off the bat? without first building that relationship could be a bad thing. JMHO.

Edserv

Cold calling and "warm calling" are simply the most effective methods of marketing your business. Anyone who tells you any differently is simply ignorant how to do this. By the way, I didn't type "efficient," because phone and in-person calls do take time! Efficient may mean: internet, postcards, newspaper, radio, storefront, etc. But the conversion rate of phone and in-person calls blows away anything else!

The really great thing about the sign industry that after a year or two, (if you do a great job with customer service,) your new client base will grow. And once you hit 250 to 500 clients and prospects, you really won't have the time to do cold calls any longer, IF you at least follow a "current customer/prospect" maintenance system.

And it's really easy. Here's how it works (And trust me, it DOES work, REALLY well.)

Once at minimum every 90 days, you make a simple phone call to your current customers and prospects (people who have requested quotes but have not purchased yet,) and simply say, "Hi, It's Chris, from (insert company name here.) I try to contact my customers at least a few times a year. How's it going? You purchased a couple banners from me last year and I wanted to make sure you knew we also offer (insert your 2 or 3 great products here.) How's it going?

You will be amazed at how many people will really remember you, and after you build rapport and chat for a minute or two, you'll also be amazed at the number of appointments you'll set and (believe it or not) sell on the spot.

It normally takes a whopping ONE POINT SIX calls per day per 100 clients/prospects you have to touch every client/prospect every 90 days. Sure, it takes discipline, but we have established Friday mornings as our "call days." One of our reps has over 300 clients, so she has to be hitting 25 solid calls a week. Voice mails count for us at this point, as we don't like to do "hard core selling". And we follow the laws on telemarketing. But when we only call clients and prospects, we have the right to contact people who have conducted (or expressed the desire) to do business with us. And also, it's business to business, so we normally don't have to worry about the home calls.

We also send emails to certain customers, if we feel that's the way they prefer to be contacted. We use a MS Access database to tracking our "current customer/prospect aging report" that re-sets to zero at point of contact.

I made over 60 calls today to current customers and prospects and set 2 really good appointments, got 2 emails back with expressed interest, and found 3 clients who will be needing signage/printed/marketing materials in the next 60 days. Not a bad day for warm calling!

Hope this helps!
Chris
Lets Go Banners