• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold vs Heat Assist vs Hot Laminators

Stagecraft

Looking to purchase a US Tech laminator. Pricing aside, what are the advantages or disadvantages between a cold laminator versus one with heat assist or a hot laminator?
Assuming that the heat just gets rid of any silvering quicker, any other benefits?
Thanks if you can advise. - Boyd

CanuckSigns

we had a heat assist in our old shop, never really used it much. Our new laminator is a cold model, it works great! yes there is some silvering at times when using calendered laminate, but it goes away overnight or with some heat. No issues at all with cast lams.

MikePro

i use cold with heat assist... i couldn't imagine having anything else.
silvering comes out with the torch, of course, but why not have that good feeling that comes from it never being there in the first place?

hot laminator? meh. bit much I think.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
i use cold with heat assist... i couldn't imagine having anything else.
silvering comes out with the torch, of course, but why not have that good feeling that comes from it never being there in the first place?

hot laminator? meh. bit much I think.

Yeah heat assist really helps smooth things out, heating the adhesive at around 85-90 is the ticket

Nishan

If you plan to print with UV inks , then hot lamination is a must, as the ink sits on the surface and the lam must be "soft" enough to get a good finish.

omgsideburns

We laminate UV inks all the time with our cold laminator, never have any problems so it's not a must. The rollers are silicon and apply the laminate fine despite any variation on the surface. Running it slowly probably helps that.

jmcnicoll

Hot lams can be the best choice for some graphics, including trade show displays, store graphics and such. However you need to be doing a lot of them to make it worth while.

ProColorGraphics

If you are looking at a US Tech, the difference really isn't much. Also, with a US Tech, I would highly recommend at least the higher end model they have. With or without heat, the build of them looks the same. If you go to www.bestdgi.com, you can find the best pricing. I bought the heat assist one and have had great luck with it. Do you need it? No, but it is nice having the prints come out of the laminator without as much silvering.

PM me if you want any other info, since I am currently running one.