• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold weather install

Ski Sign

Hello, I run the sign shop for a major ski area in Colorado, and for a variety of reasons, we have to do this all the time. I don't like to, but it is very doable. You just have to be careful. I recently installed a 1 ft by 10 ft cut vinyl graphic (Gerber/3M 220 cast) across 3 windows at one of our retail outlets. I had been putting it off because we had been having a long run of days where the temps barely got above zero (that's F, not C). And these windows never see sun. The day I finally did it, the temp couldn't have been 15 in the shade. Just make sure you use very good tape for your anchor position. Cheap masking tape doesn't like to adhere in the cold (learned the hard way).We use the Scotch 3M 'green tape' (Masking tape for hard to stick surfaces #2060) available at all hardware stores. The windows were fairly dirty from an adjacent construction project, but I gave them a quick wash w windex, making sure I didn't let it freeze on, and did a standard dry application. After squeegeeing, rub the vinyl and app tape firmly w a rivet brush, then peel the app tape back SLOWLY at a steep angle. I push the tape slowly back across the surface that I am applying to, revealing the vinyl a little at a time. If you pull up at a 90 degree angle, you will definitely rip the vinyl off the application surface. Sorry this is so long-winded, but it has always worked for me. This is just one example. I have several hundred square feet of cut vinyl graphics that were applied to repainted corrugated aluminum paneling on the terminals of several ski lifts that were applied in the driving snow. All still in service, and not peeling after 3+ years. Good luck, and sorry you got flamed for having to work outside in the cold. We do it all the time. Fact of life.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome Ski S......

Care to share where you got that little tidbit of information of using Windex prior to your installation ?? Or did you wipe that off before dry installing ??

saktrnch

With rapid tac you can install down into the upper teens. I usually skip the days that are lower than 20 if I can, but have put stuff on a truck at 13 degrees with no problems.

If you use a window cleaner, on a flat window and let it freeze, you can take it off with a 4" razor scraper and have the cleanest windows ever. It's amazing how much dirt the ice picks up.

Ski Sign

Sorry to confuse. My point was just that I didn't clean the window w anything special. Just windex. Wiped it dry w paper towel before application.

CentralSigns

Cold weather vinyl work 0 to -20C

Dont have an indoor shop up here in Canada. I seem to do alot of installs in the cold dont' have much trouble till it hits -20 C. You can prewarm the vehicle door with a heat gun , helps a little. Dont use any repositioning sprays. The vinyl is fine on premask, although the premask will sometimes hold better then the vinyl than to the vehicle. For this a small amout of heat applied to the premask, will help it release from the vinyl and stick it to the door. The heat also helps the vinyl stay less brittle. Then I usually apply a very small amount of heat to the decal and a felt edge squeege to go over the decal one last time. You can use a heatgun on low segtting or a blowdryer. I don't think I've ever had a job come back. try it out and see.

Lunatic Taskbar

I have installed in the cold. vinyl does get brittle. If you need to travel to the clients location it may be worth running off extras. It doesn't look great if its brittle and you then have nothing to complete the job. So have to re-book etc. So making extras is a win win. if they do go brittle and you had to re do them anyway well you just saved your self some hassle. And looked a little more professional to boot!