• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold weather installs - essential to wait before releasing van?

dbxfrance

Long time reader, first time poster. :)

We are about to tackle a van wrap using Hexis HX100WG2. We are in a very cold area and the van will be going straight back out into at best -10°C (14 °F) temps. Most likely even colder.

This is the first one I'm doing with Hexis vinyl so I got in touch with them to double check minimum application temps, etc. They recommended at least 15°C (59 °F) and that the van should stay at that temp for a full day AFTER application before being released into the cold.

Common sense would say to just be safe and do as they recommend, but unfortunately with this client that might not be possible, and a rental substitute van is not an easy option, so I'm trying to figure out if the Hexis guy was being wildly cautious.

With other brands we just thoroughly post heat the most deformed areas of the vinyl to reset the memory and release it straight back out into the cold and have never had any problems, but the Hexis guy seemed positive that was a bad idea, so I'm second guessing myself now.

The other factor is that most of our other cold weather installs have tended to be busses with minimal recesses, so less deformation to worry about. This is a van with some pretty serious recesses so the vinyl will be pushed fairly hard.

Would be grateful for any experience from any others who do cold weather installs or can chime in on any related technical aspects.....

Border

bad idea too put a fresh wrap out into the cold if it hasn't had any time to let the adhesive really activate. What kind of temperature are you installing at and did the van have time to fully warm up to that temp in advance?

zapblam

We do it all the time here in Sask Canada. 3M IJ180. Picked up morning after wrap competion.......even during 2 months of -35 celsius temps. We got 5 months of 0 to -30 celsius temps.

Never had anything fail.

Once installed good, shouldn't matter how hot or cold it is.

zapblam

Sorry re-read original post. Not sure how Hexis will react.....cant imagine it being different.

-10c pfsssh that nuthin, I actually installed one of my buses in -5c and its still solid 2 years later. Just have to watch the snapping / repositioning.

dbxfrance

Thanks for the replies. :thumb: The thing is definitely going to have the snot post-heated out of it.

bad idea too put a fresh wrap out into the cold if it hasn't had any time to let the adhesive really activate. What kind of temperature are you installing at and did the van have time to fully warm up to that temp in advance?

The workshop temp should be around 13 to 15c. We'll try and get it in there the night before to let it warm up overnight.

Sorry re-read original post. Not sure how Hexis will react.....cant imagine it being different.

-10c pfsssh that nuthin, I actually installed one of my buses in -5c and its still solid 2 years later. Just have to watch the snapping / repositioning.

Ah yes, Canada and -35c... I miss it, but also not... Heh. (I'm a Canadian expat living in France.)

Good to know about your -5c mission, anyway. What was the vinyl you installed at that temp? What was the minimum recommended install temp for it? Will help me relax a bit to know that those temps aren't set in stone, and that post heating is a workaround. Hopefully Hexis is no different.

dbxfrance

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'll post up the finished project anyway as soon we get it out the door as a more 'proper' introduction.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Just post heat and you'll be fine. Take your time and don't rush and you should be good to go.

14 degrees, what's that?

:ROFLMAO: you know, it's that one day a year when you wake up in the morning and things are frosty until about 8am when the temp jumps back into the 70's.

Alti-Plotter

From Hexis HX100WG2 product bulletin:

1. RECOMMENDATIONS
[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light][FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]In a full vehicle wrap avoid applying self-adhesive films on unpainted components such as trim or unpainted bumpers. [/FONT]
[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]The HX100WG2 vinyl achieves optimum adhesion after 24 hours of contact.[/FONT]

[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]5. APPLICATION OF THE HX100WG2 [/FONT]
[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light][FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light][FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]Because of its special HEX’PRESS liner the HX100WG2, whether laminated or not, is always applied using the "dry" method. Such a technology allows easy repositioning of the vinyl on the substrate but still requires strong squeegeeing down of the film to achieve optimum adhesion of the HX100WG2 on the substrate. [/FONT]
[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]Before application of a compound HX100WG2 + PC30 (or HX100WG2 + V750) or of the film on its own, ensure that all surfaces are clean. [/FONT]
[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]The application temperature must be between 20°C and 25°C both the environmental temperature as for the temperature of the substrate. Ambient humidity may also influence the adhesion of the film on the substrate.[/FONT]

[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]http://www.hexis-graphics.com/documents/fichespose/document_en/imn_hx100wg2_FPP_anglais0.pdf[/FONT]

[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]During a wrapping seminar from Hexis, I was told that the colder it is outside, the longer the vehicle must stay in a heated place. Minimum 48 hours after finishing the job if it is freezing outside. Call Hexis in Frontignan to be sure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Avenir LT Std 35 Light,Avenir LT Std 35 Light]At the last wrapping seminar I attended we were trained on Scotchprint 1080. They insisted on: “L'adhésif reste fluide pendant 72 heures suivant le collage. En cas d'exposition au froid ou au gel ce processus est interrompu et ne peut plus être poursuivis (même en utilisant un foehn). Cela entrainerait une adhésion finale insuffisante. En cas de basses températures, le véhicule doit rester au garage pendant au moins 24 heures supplémentaires.”[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]