• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cold weather vinyl...

Deaton Design

Whats the coldest you have did any vinyl applications? I have five office doors to do, and its going to be in the 20s and low 30s for several days. Been awhile since I did any cold weather applications.:signs101:

CES020

Only issue i've had in cold weather has been making sure I didn't use application fluid. Couldn't get the stuff to evaporate for anything.

I don't think you'll have any problems in that temperature range, but maybe someone else has had different experiences than I have. I've not had any issues.

Blaney

Last week I lettered a window and the temp. was 28 degrees. I layered the vinyl in the shop then installed it dry. No problems.

megacab

did a tahoe 2 weeks ago when we had a bit of a cold snap. was 31 out and i screwed the pooch by trying to do it wet. learned a very valuable lesson that day. after doing the rear window that way and having it take an hour just to remove the app tape:banghead:, i did the side windows dry. never, ever, will i do another install wet below about 50 degrees.

HulkSmash

We never do wet application, so we don't have an issue with that. But the only real issue you have to worry about is the vinyl tearing because it's so cold, and especially if you heat it to go around rivets and stuff.

Sticky Signs

You can pre-heat the glass with a heat gun or a torch. Just be careful not to break the glass. You'll also want to heat up the vinyl after it's applied. Use caution because your vinyl will be much more brittle than normal.

dwt

7 degrees?
Do you have a wind break or shelter to work under?
How in the world do you work the vinyl with winter gloves on??
This reminds me why I still live on the sandbar.

I did some truck doors outside when it was 25 and a pretty good wind. That was at my old shop before I had a garage. I don't know if it was too cold for the vinyl (I think they recommend it be at least 40?), but it was certainly too cold for me.

Deaton Design

I never do wet applications on glass. Found that out the hard way many years ago, lol. THanks for the advice. I dont look forward to being in the cold, but need to get it done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
7* I find hard to believe, but if you say so.... I'll take your word.

• How do you ever find any dexterity in your fingers ??
  • How do you find vinyl that will cooperate ??
  • How do you find employees dumb enough to work in conditions like that ??

Sticky, don't ever... and I mean EVER, advise anyone to use a heat gun or touch on glass. That's about the worst thing you can do or suggest. That is a foolish answer and I hope you were only kidding with tongue in cheek. :doh:

Sticky Signs

Gino, I'm not kidding. I live in Canada and from what I know and see, it's pretty common practice in these parts. Like I said - just be careful. The key is to heat up the glass evenly and not burn down the building in the process. Although I've never broken a piece of glass by heating it (knock on wood), I would imagine you would have to keep your heat source pointed in one area for a decent amount of time before it would break.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're one lucky person. It's still bad advice in my opinion, regardless of your location.

I've seen windshields blow out from heat...... windows and mirrors. I broke one mirror about 15 years ago. I wasn't using heat directly on it. We had a heater cube in the same room, not even pointing at the mirror and cra-a-a-a-ack..... spidered all the way up side of the mirror. We didn't have to replace it, but we weren't asked to come back until the room was completely warm.

Sticky Signs

Ok, I'll add my disclaimer now. I am not responsible for broken glass or burned down building should you decide to follow my advice.
Gino - according to my math, you've had 8 years of good luck. Not bad. :)

Pete Moss

We are located in Northern Wisconsin so I run into this more then I'd like to. I've applied some small business hours to glass on a bank at zero. I had the time and temp reading right across the street. I used no gloves and did heat up the glass. I did this applilcation dry and it did take a decent amount of time to get the individual letters to stay down. They are still there, over two years later now. I just did a couple of larger graphics in about 30 degrees with no problems.

W

wetgravy

i've applied in the low 10's and 20's before ... but with anything under 50 degrees you have to add a disclaimer to your install. Under 50 degrees it takes longer for the adhesive to "cure" (it's a slow moving gel) and become perm. Make sure you tell the customer not to pressure clean or use heavy force in cleaning it for atleast 72 hours (enough time for the sun to heat up the adhesive) and try not to exceed the speed limit on the highway during that time so the letters don't peal right off. and other than the tearing issue you're fine.

Your popsicle for fingers might not be.

Deaton Design

It was so cold when I did this today, it hurt my feelings.
Everything went okay. I applied dry, and as it was two color job, only a couple times did the second layer not want to seat. These were five doors at two locations for a local bank.
Only thing bad was it froze my son and I half to death. Im still shakin....