• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

COLEX Sharpcut vs MULTICAM Digital Express

Quark

Merchant Member
I researched all sorts of cutters/routers and went with a Zund. Yes they are expensive but they will do everything and do everything good. We route all sorts of stuff and have done up to 1" acrylic. On acrylic we go straight from route to flame polish with no steps in between and get a perfect edge. They do have a diamond polishing bit for acrylic but have not gone that far. As far as cutting we cut paper, vinyl, foam and have never had an issue. We had the machine installed 2 years ago and have not had a service call yet. We spoke with a lot of large shops that are running multiple Zund cutters and said they are workhorses.

Why not esko

MGB_LE

We have had our Colex for about 4 years, and would definitely buy again. It handles kiss cutting and routing, although we don't stress the machine. The price was right, versus the others named here.

I -will- chime in that there is a learning curve with the software. Support, however has been great and we've had few problems, except ones we created....

the finisher

After using a Colex Sharpcut for years if you have literally any questions about it, ask away. I'll go over some details.

Colex 5x10 static or conveyor- 220v single phase 50 amps. Steel welded frame, solid design, rack and pinion driven by Panasonic servo motors. Independent vacuum zones with 6 pumps that are able to be switched on or off depending on the size of the sheet you are working with (most people leave all on).
Software side uses 2 programs. Colex CNC and Optiscout (which Zund used to use and what Summa uses)
The machine is fully 3d capable and the cnc software is open source so you can use pretty much whatever 3d modeling software you want.
If a part were to break the machine is designed easy enough that a tech could remotely walk you through how to replace the part.
The support is A+

Multicam started as a router company who later came to introduce knife cutting capabilities. They are considerably slower in the knife dept. Nobody can question their routing capabilities or the frame as they are both solid.

Most finishing companies are a la cart (zund,esko,summa) Colex is 1 price and you get whatever you need including all software, workstation with computer, vacuum for table suction and debris extraction and whatever tooling you require. Zund likes to reel people in with attractive numbers in the 100k range but when you start adding vacuums,computer, routing module, dust extraction it can easily climb to over 220k. Also their frame is a skeleton that will need a tech to come out and re-level If you run into any issues.

Summa seems to do the same at less cost. I will tell you this. If you plan to do ANY sort of heavy routing DO NOT go with Summa. Their router module (kress) is so overpriced (8k) and underpowered it's not even funny.

Do yourself a favor and stop at the Colex booth at SGIA and speak to A TECH that's running one of the machines. You will get all the info you need and not a sales pitch.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Summa seems to do the same at less cost. I will tell you this. If you plan to do ANY sort of heavy routing DO NOT go with Summa. Their router module (kress) is so overpriced (8k) and underpowered it's not even funny.

Just out of curiosity, what is considered heavy routing? I've been interested in the Summa F series for a while have always wondered if routing 3mm ACM and 6mm acrylic is doable on the Summa?

the finisher

Just out of curiosity, what is considered heavy routing? I've been interested in the Summa F series for a while have always wondered if routing 3mm ACM and 6mm acrylic is doable on the Summa?

Heavy routing I'd constitute as the following:
Wood 1/4in and thicker
Acrylic 1/4in and thicker
Aluminum .060 and thicker
ACM thicker than 3mm

When Colex was new in the scene they used to use the same router Summa uses and there's a reason why they switched. According to the techs, prolonged usage on heavier medias can result in the router burning out OR the router can be bogged down during heavier cuts.

Sure you can cut 3mm ACM and 6mm acrylic but if that's a part of your core business, I would definitely consider a beefier router.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Heavy routing I'd constitute as the following:
Wood 1/4in and thicker
Acrylic 1/4in and thicker
Aluminum .060 and thicker
ACM thicker than 3mm

When Colex was new in the scene they used to use the same router Summa uses and there's a reason why they switched. According to the techs, prolonged usage on heavier medias can result in the router burning out OR the router can be bogged down during heavier cuts.

Sure you can cut 3mm ACM and 6mm acrylic but if that's a part of your core business, I would definitely consider a beefier router.

Good to know, thanks.

Superior_Adam

Why not esko
I talked to a few shops that started with Esko and switched everything to Zund and said they would never go back to Esko. They are running their Zund’s all day every day so that says a lot. One shop has 8 Zund cutters of various sizes and said the same thing about they felt the zund was a better platform than Esko

ProColorGraphics

Good to know, thanks.
I have done some decent routing with my Summa F with the Kress spindle and it has worked great. If you are going to be routing a lot, they have a high frequency router spindle that can handle the 24/7 use. It is a rather pricey option. The only thing I wish the Summa had was the ability to do more than 2D routing. Such as taking a piece of PVC and routing a woodgrain pattern/texture into it.

If you are looking at the Summa F, especially if you are looking at mostly cutting to start with, you won't regret the Summa! It has sped up my production big time! I have also nerded out and purchased most of the cutting tools they offer, so feel free to ask any questions.

Quark

Merchant Member
I talked to a few shops that started with Esko and switched everything to Zund and said they would never go back to Esko. They are running their Zund’s all day every day so that says a lot. One shop has 8 Zund cutters of various sizes and said the same thing about they felt the zund was a better platform than Esko

I wonder why did they say that? We had a demo of both and everything else being near equal esko looked a better built machine

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
Just installed a Zund G3-L3200 here, I can promise you, it's worth the money. We are already looking at 2 more! If you have any questions about a Zund please message me!

imonBouch19

I have done some decent routing with my Summa F with the Kress spindle and it has worked great. If you are going to be routing a lot, they have a high frequency router spindle that can handle the 24/7 use. It is a rather pricey option. The only thing I wish the Summa had was the ability to do more than 2D routing. Such as taking a piece of PVC and routing a woodgrain pattern/texture into it.

If you are looking at the Summa F, especially if you are looking at mostly cutting to start with, you won't regret the Summa! It has sped up my production big time! I have also nerded out and purchased most of the cutting tools they offer, so feel free to ask any questions.

Since you asked...any thoughts on my question and the responses I got:
https://signs101.com/threads/summa-f1612-full-bleed-4x8-w-o-marks.150830/

imonBouch19

Was my response not explanatory enough? I can draw out the method if you need.

Thanks anyway, but I am specifically interested in the ability to trim boards without registration marks, i.e. orientating the cutter with the corner of the board or a place on the belt/table. The Summa owner informed me there are some workarounds to accomplished that but he has never employed them.