• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Collecting from dead beats

zmatalucci

I was inspired to write this due to the other thread about the non-payng nail salon. This incident happened with my monument business, but should apply to signs equally as well.
I had created a monument for a gentlemen whose wife had passed away the year before. He was referred to me by one of the local cemeteries as he is a friend of the superintendent. I took my deposit of 50%, and all was good. I carved and installed the stone in less time than had been estimated as I don't like things to hang.
Upon installation I made contact with the customer to inform him of the install as well as arrange for me to collect the remaining balance. (due on delivery)
I do not allow 30 days on anything, this isn't b2b. Well, after a couple months of beating around the bush, chasing, e-mailing, etc. I came to my wits end.
I finally said, " Look, I understand times are tough and perhaps you have fallen on hard times, but please don't make me chase you. I have fulfilled my end of the bargain, and I wish for you to do the same. If you do not have the money to pay me, perhaps a barter could work." He said " Barter, what would I barter to you." I rambled off that I'm an avid firearms enthusiast and a couple other things I like to collect.

Well, long story short, he showed up a couple days later with guns in hand, and we made a deal. I got a nice shotgun, plus he promised to give me some cash when it comes available. I plan on writing him a receipt for paid in full prior to him sending me cash. He owned up to his debt, and made good for most of it. He truely has fallen on hard times, and I have received verification of this.

Moral of the story, if you feel that your not going to get your money, put something else on the table. By bartering with this guy, both parties remained happy, and he will refer me to future clients as he is extremely satisfied with me "working with him". And, I got my monies worth + a nice gun.
I know he shouldn't have ordered the stone if he didn't have the money, but we can never tell! Btw, I recently switched my contracts to paid in full up front.

Mosh

We trade for chickens and pies all the time. This is just as good as money here in Nerbaska!

PMG

:goodpost: i do this as well.......so well that the local Harley dealer i do work for thats all they want to do,,,i get credit for what they spent and i go to the dealer and get what i want. :supersmilie:Ive got about 4 grand built up so for..........im going shopping tomorrow heheheh.

Mosh

4 grand won't get you much over-priced Harley junk. Yes I said junk. lol, I have a 69' Triumph.

Mosh

Did you see my wood carved wildlife signs? If not look them up on here! It will be good, well for a laugh!