• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Collecting Money - Trade Work

Craig Perry

cheers for all the replies, made it clear about this guy..

Customers that do not pay are not customers! Customers that pay slow are liabilities and customers that dictate you business are bosses. Are you going to let this guy be your boss?

about sums it up, hey...

Fitch

Several things:

I would increase his prices, to cover the risk.

It also depends on what the layout costs to you are. YES you have to get paid but sometimes a $2000 job requires only an outlay of $250. The rest is time and profit. YES it's nice to get the $$$ in to pay bills, but the guy is actually paying, albeit "late". How long can you carry $250? If he doesn't pay the outlay to you is $250 but you get to write off $2000 as "Bad and Doubtful Debts".

Someone else could order a job on Monday, give you a chq on Tuesday and have it bounce on Wednesday.

All things being equal - sit him down, tell him that you have been "burned" and come 1st January 2011 all orders need 30% down, or full payment within 30 days to which a discount applies. That way he has a choice to either use you or not. If he knows the rules he gets the choice to play the game or not. If you are a good supplier - chances are he will stick with you.

If he does choose to use you and doesn't pay (within 30 days) the first time after 1st Jan - then it's 30% up front. No exceptions.

Good luck - gut feeling is everything.

Cheers - G

cdiesel

The largest overdue balance we have is for another "sign company" that we wrapped a trailer for over a year ago. It's risky. If you decide to continue to do business with this guy, build finance charges in up front.