• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Collection Agency

wildside

power is with the courts. if you feel you want to do what it takes to get the $500, small claims is your only option. and even at that, you will get a $500 judgement with zero money after that point. 99% chance the guy wont even show up to the court date.

keep in mind, even though it sucks, the full amount can be written off as bad business debt.

not always, we have one that owes us $98, that's it, they stiffed us, then gave us a "fake" credit card number to pay it, and then dodged calls and ignored it all, responded once in an email that they would send a check right away... nothing came of course, but we gave all this documented info to the attorney

our attorney went through the standard collection process, then turned into the court process, and no they did not show up, got the judgement and filed for a bench warrant and got that, now the sheriffs department will be arresting them, and basically the bail money is what they owe us, the attorney the courts and the sheriff to get out, by what i understand the $98 bucks is more like $1600 bucks now.

simple enough, pay and you get out of jail, don't pay then see ya...

CanuckSigns

With this kind of thinking, you could start taking automobiles, houses and other unpaid items, if you think you are that much above the law.... why stop with signs ??

Automobiles and houses are repossessed all the time if you fail to pay for them.

what difference if there between a repo man walking into your private property (driveway) and repossessing your car that you stopped making payments on, and me taking down a sign you haven't paid for? Why is one perfectly legal and the other going to land you in jail?

WildWestDesigns

Automobiles and houses are repossessed all the time if you fail to pay for them.

what difference if there between a repo man walking into your private property (driveway) and repossessing your car that you stopped making payments on, and me taking down a sign you haven't paid for? Why is one perfectly legal and the other going to land you in jail?

Because in the case of car repossession (and houses) there is language in your contract that stipulates to repos. If you have no language in your contract in that regard, then your SOL. Even then, I know some on here, like to call a repo "emergency repair", in Tennessee and Alabama, that would result in an illegal repo. It has to be stated as a repo.

Now even if there is language allowing for a repo, your are also limited in how you can go about reclaiming that property. So even if you do have that language in there, if you violate another law in the process of the repo, then your SOL.

This is why knowing your local laws is so important. Both as a business person and as a consumer.