• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

College is replacing the sexist Men Working signs with Crew Working

genericname

Something just occurred to me. I have never, ever, in my entire life, seen a "Men Working" or "Crew Working" sign. Maybe this is a Canadian thing. Isn't it evident by all the traffic cones, reflective vests, cement mixers, power tools, caution tape, excavation devices, noise, swearing, hard hats, dust, empty coffee cups, and cigarettes, that you are near a work site? Does the US have an epidemic of idiots falling into holes whenever a little orange sign isn't present? Should we really miss these people enough to try to warn them?

Let's approach this from another angle. Instead of changing the sign, why not get rid of it all together?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Most of the women that complain about this kind of stuff saying it's "anti woman" are generally the ones that say "we can do everything a man can"...

Except write their name in the snow.

Some years back the University of California at Santa Cruz, a hotbed of militant feminism, and everything else for that matter, received complaints about the sexist nature of the signs designating restrooms to be male or female. They complained that the figure of the man was too masculine and the woman too feminine. The decides to have a contest to decide just what the proper male and female symbols should be.

The winner going away was to replace the figures of a man and a woman with those of a salami and a taco. True story.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, back in the 40's and 50's how would they go about depicting the 'Colored Entrance' or 'Colored Water Fountain' ?? :omg:

genericname

...The winner going away was to replace the figures of a man and a woman with those of a salami and a taco. True story.

That's hilarious! Problematic from the same angle they took to remove the original signs, but it's good to know some people still had a sense of humour about it. It's one thing to believe in a cause, but be you conservative, liberal, progressive, communist, or whatever, you have nothing if you don't have a sense of humour, and no common ground with which to cover your issues with the people on the other side of the discussion.