• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color change backlit red plexiglass to purple???

splizaat

Hey guys -
This situation is kind of a unique one. I've got a customer who has a sign that looks to be about 15-20 years old hung outside their building. Each letter is a separate piece of RED faded plexiglas routed to shape in it's own lightbox (same shape as the letter).

The customer has the idea to take the faded red plexiglas letter faces out, and have me apply either translucent or transparent vinyl to give the sign a fresh unfaded face, that now appears and shines purple.

My thoughts at first are to apply Oracal 8300 Transparent BLUE to the red faces and have them shine and appear purple (red+blue=purple). The other thought is to apply 8300 Transparent PURPLE to the front of the red faces to have it shine and appear purple. The problem with this -- the red faces are still faded, therefor, lighter spots in the letters will still appear different if transparent vinyl is applied.

My second option is to apply Oracal 8500 PURPLE to the red faces....will these appear purple in day light and shine purple at night? Or will the red show through?

This is a new one for me. Obviously i can take one letter down and go buy a bunch of material and test it, but that's all all day process....Hoping someone here has had to change the color plexiglas sign faces before and can toss some input my way, or at least a starting point.

Matt

splizaat

Stupid red plexi :) I figured that was going to be the route to take on these but wanted to check. Glad we didn't waste any time on this one, we'll check this off our list of projects we're interested in taking on

splizaat

LOL i appreciate the input, and I know how to run a shop that makes profit...been doing it for quite some time now.

It has nothing to do with entitlement that it seems many of you sign shop owners on here have, it has to do with exploring other options that may or may not work. Right here in this very thread, we determined it will not work - so we move on. There's no need to have a pompous, too good attitude towards my customers for asking. My bills get paid every month.