Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

color change wrap

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by tintshopplus, Feb 8, 2013.

1. tintshopplus

tintshopplus Member

Mar 19, 2010
    thinking about doing a color change wrap to flat black on my nissan xterra. never wrapped before but been doing tint and graphics for years so think I can possibly catch on. any recommendations on maybe where to start or what product to look at? i want to go cheap since its my first one and i may burn some material to the garage floor. thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Cheap and wrap film don't go together very well.
    You want to use the right material to get an idea of what you can and can't do with the film.
    All the main manufacturers make wrap films - 3M 1080, Oracal 970RA, Avery Supreme wrap film etc.
    Most of these can be purchased by the yard.
    I'd get a few yards and do some spot panels first before going all in on a color change.

wayne k
    guam usa

3. tintshopplus

tintshopplus Member

Mar 19, 2010
    thanks. i plan on takin it easy for this. xterra looks hard in spots. i order mostly oracal vinyls now and thought about givin it a shot. hexis looks cool but don't know anything about it. what are some must have tools for the job?

4. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Being a tint shop you already have them.
    Heater gun - good hard edged squeegee -w- a felt or soft velcro sleeve/edge - olfa cutter maybe some edge sealer (clear nail polish) & something to clean and prep the paint (alcohol for final cleaning and drinking).
    Once you get into the production side of wrapping you can go crazy with all kinds of tools to speed things up (and empty your wallet):
    http://www.geekwraps.com/basic.version/index-2.html

You'll find that wrap film is a lot more forgiving than tint or even regular cut vinyl.
    you can set it, heat it, stretch it, shrink it & even pull it up and put it back down again.

wayne k
    guam usa

5. GRGraphics

GRGraphics New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    We only use 3M 1080 for color change, It does not really cost that much more. If you use a cheap film it will take you way longer, you will waste more material and probably **** you off if this is your first go at it. It is worth the few dollars extra to use a quality product. Fellers seems to have the best price on 3M 1080. Im not saying you must use 3M just a good wrap film. Just the time you will save is worth it. I wish someone had given me this advise. If you do a good job it will sell itself.

6. megagraphics

megagraphics New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Clear nailpolish as a sealer!! very clever! i defo need to try that!!