• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

color change wrap

tintshopplus

thinking about doing a color change wrap to flat black on my nissan xterra. never wrapped before but been doing tint and graphics for years so think I can possibly catch on. any recommendations on maybe where to start or what product to look at? i want to go cheap since its my first one and i may burn some material to the garage floor. thanks in advance.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Cheap and wrap film don't go together very well.
You want to use the right material to get an idea of what you can and can't do with the film.
All the main manufacturers make wrap films - 3M 1080, Oracal 970RA, Avery Supreme wrap film etc.
Most of these can be purchased by the yard.
I'd get a few yards and do some spot panels first before going all in on a color change.

wayne k
guam usa

tintshopplus

thanks. i plan on takin it easy for this. xterra looks hard in spots. i order mostly oracal vinyls now and thought about givin it a shot. hexis looks cool but don't know anything about it. what are some must have tools for the job?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Being a tint shop you already have them.
Heater gun - good hard edged squeegee -w- a felt or soft velcro sleeve/edge - olfa cutter maybe some edge sealer (clear nail polish) & something to clean and prep the paint (alcohol for final cleaning and drinking).
Once you get into the production side of wrapping you can go crazy with all kinds of tools to speed things up (and empty your wallet):
http://www.geekwraps.com/basic.version/index-2.html

You'll find that wrap film is a lot more forgiving than tint or even regular cut vinyl.
you can set it, heat it, stretch it, shrink it & even pull it up and put it back down again.

wayne k
guam usa

GRGraphics

We only use 3M 1080 for color change, It does not really cost that much more. If you use a cheap film it will take you way longer, you will waste more material and probably **** you off if this is your first go at it. It is worth the few dollars extra to use a quality product. Fellers seems to have the best price on 3M 1080. Im not saying you must use 3M just a good wrap film. Just the time you will save is worth it. I wish someone had given me this advise. If you do a good job it will sell itself.