• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

color code for reflective vinyl

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
I'm not sure what the "77" indicates. But there is a thread that has the rgb code for oralite and avery. I was wondering if anyone had the 3m code.
That is the 3M Code. first number designates the type of vinyl, in this case 680 is reflective. 77 is the color code. Unless you you are looking for a Pantone color code? I dont think there would be a Pantone color code for reflectives as they kinda change color depending on the light source and direction.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If all else fails, get a NIX sensor for about $100. It will give you an RGB value and it comes in handy once in a while for things like this.

JBurton

Signtologist
Unless you you are looking for a Pantone color code? I dont think there would be a Pantone color code for reflectives as they kinda change color depending on the light source and direction.
The MUTCD lists pms colors. Sounds like she's looking for pms 342

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
The MUTCD lists pms colors. Sounds like she's looking for pms 342
I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for or not. I'm keeping it to check it out.
But this is for a sherriff's car in a neighboring county. I didn't know if they had a specific green or not. turns out its the 3m green. HOWEVER, I only need about 5 ft x24 inches. I can't find a small enough amount. so I was going to print it.

JBurton

Signtologist
i'm going to try that one. that looks like grass green on my screen. I'll see what it prints like
If ya haven't considered it, printing on clear and laying over reflective is a pretty close simulation when compared to printing on reflective, it's just a lot cheaper to run test prints this way.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
If ya haven't considered it, printing on clear and laying over reflective is a pretty close simulation when compared to printing on reflective, it's just a lot cheaper to run test prints this way.
good idea. I was going to run a print run on regular vinyl first and see which one matched closer. but I like the idea of printing on clear.

Last edited:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
update: I printed swatches on regular vinyl. it looks like the closest match to the green was codes taken from an earlier thread regarding oracal and avery green codes. next i'll print swatches on the reflective.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for or not. I'm keeping it to check it out.
But this is for a sherriff's car in a neighboring county. I didn't know if they had a specific green or not. turns out its the 3m green. HOWEVER, I only need about 5 ft x24 inches. I can't find a small enough amount. so I was going to print it.
Check with your vendors, we often get specialty and reflective vinyls by the yard.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
update: I printed swatches on regular vinyl. it looks like the closest match to the green was codes taken from an earlier thread regarding oracal and avery green codes. next i'll print swatches on the reflective.
You could have ordered by the yard through Fellers. How did the printing make out?