• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color correct monitor for HP 315 ?

depps74

I been getting more jobs where color matching is pretty key, wondering if a monitor like this one would save some time in the process. In other words if I can match it on the screen and roughly get what is on the screen to print that would save a lot of time and guesswork especially with curves and getting it just right. see link for the type of monitor I am thinking of..

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I think that's just waste of money for some printing that's not close to what the screen is showing anyways. You are still looking at it on backlit RGB screen and then it comes out CMYK.
If you now have a older display that's nothing special, you will be surprised how much better new ~$300-500 IPS display will look like.

Get something cheaper but still color accurate and a spectro to calibrate everything.

I'm not recommending any of these just some examples for what you are looking for.

mattc5900

Also in my experience using HP360 you will never get color correct output/color match. you can get close but never hit it! I use calibrated monitors FYI. I have tried creating multiple new color profiles trying to get better color output but i have never been able to hit colors 100%. I have several clients that are know what color it is supposed to be they are from the automotive world and man its really hard to hit certain colors for these clients!! If you monitor is super old i would look at getting a newer one.. But if yours is reasonably new just calibrate the one you have..

somcalmetim

Meh, I have never wasted much time on monitor calibration stuff.
You can spend a lot of money but its hard to hold that fancy monitor next to a fender...I've seen the prices on some color sampler devices but I find even a well taken phone picture provide a pretty good starting point to match a color with a few test swatches and some xp.
Even if you can hold a paint chip next to the monitor...with different finishes on samples/monitor/paint chips and light sources it doesnt help to tell the customer "Well...it matched on my monitor.....*awkward silence*...."
Test prints can be put right up against things to compare, get approval and cover your ass.
You need to know what the rip/profile/printer is doing with your stuff and after a few test prints/jobs you will get to know what your cmyk or rgb to actual output is on various printers you may encounter.

If you want to spend money on a monitor I would get the biggest wacom cintiq you can afford...at least thats pretty good out of the box and investment in your design/ergonomics and not just a color matching time sink.