• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Color Gamut/Profile

Question, for all you large format Digital printers. (Specifically ones using ONYX with HP Latex and UV printers)

What color gamut/Profile do you print to? and why?
Just curious, We have ours set to print to GRACoL 2006 Coated.

FrankW

Regularly, I set the RIP to use the input profiles which are embedded in the files. When saving data out of a lot of graphic applications to the main file formats (PDF, AI, TIF, JPG and so on), the profiles of the working spaces are saved within the file, and will be applied to the next ICC workflow step.

If using a different profile than the one from the workspace the graphic is created in, you risk color deviations because of the wrong profile is used to calculate the colors when converting to the PCS, what will need to wrong color values calculated by the output/printer profiles.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I print to my printers full colour gamut.

most people don't have a need to use a printing standard like GRAcol or Fogra unless you're printing commercial products like magazines, packaging.
You're basically just limiting your printers colour output to match a standard.

I print to my printers full colour gamut.

most people don't have a need to use a printing standard like GRAcol or Fogra unless you're printing commercial products like magazines, packaging.
You're basically just limiting your printers colour output to match a standard.

We are a small commercial print shop doing signs, banners, stickers and much more. We have been running the GRACoL gamut since i have been here because what ive been told is some of our large format printers don't have as large a gamut so we limit all our printers to GRACoL in order to better keep the color limits closer together.

Regularly, I set the RIP to use the input profiles which are embedded in the files. When saving data out of a lot of graphic applications to the main file formats (PDF, AI, TIF, JPG and so on), the profiles of the working spaces are saved within the file, and will be applied to the next ICC workflow step.

If using a different profile than the one from the workspace the graphic is created in, you risk color deviations because of the wrong profile is used to calculate the colors when converting to the PCS, what will need to wrong color values calculated by the output/printer profiles.

Frank, can you elaborate where i might find that setting to use the embedded file profile and ill test it out on our end. With our shop setting all our outputs to GRACoL (see post above as to why) my next question to you is this. If your using Onyx, what do you select in "Color Management"? we currently have it set up to output to GRACoL.

upload_2020-1-29_6-49-6.png

FrankW

At this settings the use of embedded profiles is activated. Look at "Use Embedded Profile When Available".

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We are a small commercial print shop doing signs, banners, stickers and much more. We have been running the GRACoL gamut since i have been here because what ive been told is some of our large format printers don't have as large a gamut so we limit all our printers to GRACoL in order to better keep the color limits closer together.

From what you have just said, you have no reason to print to a standard.
i can understand with wanting the same colour output though out the whole shop, but if they just print to their maximum capability, all the printers will be very close anyway as long as they're all calibrated correctly.