Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color issues with my SP-300

Discussion in 'Corel' started by Jim Hill, Oct 17, 2012.

1. I am using CorelDraw X-5 and when I create vectors I have only been using RGB colors and I send them to my Roland SP-300 in a post script.

The material I print on is Oracal 3640-G if that maters.

My problem is I am not happy the the red colors in RGB

The other colors are fine but for some reason the red all seem dull and almost faded looking. The reds just don't seem bright and sharp looking.

Anyone else running into this problem?

Should I be just using CMYK colors?

What happens if I use all RGB colors except for the red color which would be CMYK color?

I would like to hear from others who are also using a Roland Verscamm to print with and what colors they are using.

Thank Jim

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    I believe that most of the Roland users are using the Roland Color System for solid color reproduction. It requires that you run the Roland RIP (Versaworks) to drive your printer (unless other RIP developers are supporting RCS of late).

It bypasses the ICC-based workflow, and converts to CMYK directly from the named Roland Color. You'll need to install the color palette into CorelDRAW to use it however. The color palettes for Corel and Illustrator ship with Versaworks, and Flexi has a color palette for RVW as well.

3. Color Rip software

My SP-300 came with Color Rip and that's all I have ever used and it has worked perfectly for years.

Jim

4. SuncitySigns

SuncitySigns Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Maybe it's the media? My Sp300 puts out a nice red!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. Suncity Signs:

Are you sending your images and artwork to the printer in cymk colors or rgb colors?

Also which ICC profile and media are you using?

Thanks Jim

6. jhd

jhd Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Elmira, New York
    I had a SP-300 with color-rip and I also used corel.
    I also had issues with colors and couldn't quite nail them down.

Its not the best way around it, but I actually printed a PMS color chart on each media that I used and used that as a guide. This becomes a nightmare if you do not keep good notes, but it works.

I have a SP-540i now with versaworks and the roland color library - this makes my life easy. I'm not sure how much it would cost to upgrade to Versaworks, but it is definitely worth it in my mind.