• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Color Management for small print shop?

Caw

Minister of Percussive Maintenance
My company's production print shop is pretty loosy goosy with technology and I'm trying to fix this. 5 printers that all have their quirks color wise but I'm looking to try and get things dialed in a bit better. Other that manually adjusting everything was there any tools/stuff you do that helps your business keep colors consistent?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The most effective, professional way would be to get a photospectrometer and make your own profiles or hire someone to do it for you. Other than that it's pretty much down to printing the same color chart off on each printer and choosing colors based on the results. Each brand, model, and ink type has it's own gamut and limitations so getting it 100% perfect is not possible but you can get close. It's much easier with the same machine and ink type.

Val47

I wouldn't consider anything less than the i1Pro3 range from X-Rite:
So, not to side track the thread... But we just got a new printer (agfa 2500i) with an Asanti rip (new to me) and it came with the i1pro3. We have Asanti 4, the pro 3 doesn't work yet... But I was trained how to use the ipro2 that we already have. Long story short, I'm thrilled to know how to finally be able to use it. That said, now I want my boss to get drivers for our other printers so I can integrate and build new profiles. For all my printer kids.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We still make our profiles in i1Profiler and import them into Onyx. I hope you'd be able to do similar with Asanti so you can get up and running without needing full compatibility from the RIP at this point in time.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We still make our profiles in i1Profiler and import them into Onyx. I hope you'd be able to do similar with Asanti so you can get up and running without needing full compatibility from the RIP at this point in time.
The thing is, I currently have 4 printer's in onyx, but I only really use two, and one of them is being replaced. It's a process. That said... We are using onyx 12. Upgrade, or new drivers..?
I'm liking Asanti. I'm learning it, but like it. And we will get the upgrade to Asanti 5 which Will support the ipro3

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
To get back to the op, consolidating your rip for all your printers (potters too) to one rip, and learning how to profile the media is ideal.
You can get away with a lot with generic profiles, but then for repeated projects, you have to keep track of what printer you did that on the last time. When you have multiple printers. I'm still working on this conundrum. and dealing with growing pains. o_O

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The thing is, I currently have 4 printer's in onyx, but I only really use two, and one of them is being replaced. It's a process. That said... We are using onyx 12. Upgrade, or new drivers..?
I'm liking Asanti. I'm learning it, but like it. And we will get the upgrade to Asanti 5 which Will support the ipro3

Onyx X12 is very old. to old to even upgrade. You'll have to purchase new software.