• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

color management way off today

gabagoo

I have no idea what's going on here today. I printed quite a bit yesterday with no issues. This morning I am printing a very simple 2 color job. Grey and medium blue. I always like using the pantone 430 off my color chart that I printed years ago.
Start printing and hit the brakes when I see that this grey is looking pretty browny. I check everything in Flexi Rip and everything seems ok. I then run a nozzle check on the Mimaki and everything is firing 100%. Not sure what else I can do. I have always used this profile for 90% of everything I print, so what's the problem. I reboot the comp and the printer thinking something is not right but again same issue.

I then find a rgb converter online and find a nice grey and a blue that is close and input the numbers. I then start printing and again the grey is very browney.... I then figure, screw it...lets turn color correction off and BOOM...Both colours print just fine.

Can one make an assumption that a profile can go bad?

I will keep an eye on it later and print some things on file to see if indeed things have changed.

dypinc

Before you make a bunch of wild guesses do a re-linearization. That should tell you what is off. Been a long time since I ran Flexi but surly it has a re-linearization routine.

father

I have no idea what's going on here today. I printed quite a bit yesterday with no issues. This morning I am printing a very simple 2 color job. Grey and medium blue. I always like using the pantone 430 off my color chart that I printed years ago.
Start printing and hit the brakes when I see that this grey is looking pretty browny. I check everything in Flexi Rip and everything seems ok. I then run a nozzle check on the Mimaki and everything is firing 100%. Not sure what else I can do. I have always used this profile for 90% of everything I print, so what's the problem. I reboot the comp and the printer thinking something is not right but again same issue.

I then find a rgb converter online and find a nice grey and a blue that is close and input the numbers. I then start printing and again the grey is very browney.... I then figure, screw it...lets turn color correction off and BOOM...Both colours print just fine.

I will keep an eye on it later and print some things on file to see if indeed things have changed.

You trying to match a chart that you printed years ago. Is that correct?
If so, is it possible that you had color correction disabled during that original print?

gabagoo

You trying to match a chart that you printed years ago. Is that correct?
If so, is it possible that you had color correction disabled during that original print?

No I use this chart all the time.... something weird is going on...maybe just a glitch that hopefully corrects itself.

father

No I use this chart all the time.... something weird is going on...maybe just a glitch that hopefully corrects itself.

When you say chart, are you referring to a 'Swatch Table'? A palette of colors in the design screen?

johnnysigns

Glitches around here never seem to correct themselves, I'd snoop around the linearization targets as previously mentioned. If you don't have an old target to compare it to it may still point you in the direction of hardware of software that's to blame. Any ink system changes?

gabagoo

Glitches around here never seem to correct themselves, I'd snoop around the linearization targets as previously mentioned. If you don't have an old target to compare it to it may still point you in the direction of hardware of software that's to blame. Any ink system changes?

How do I access this?

Correct Color

One can make that assumption, sure.

But one would be wrong.

I hear that all the time, but the fact is that profiles are computer files. They can't just sit on the shelf and go bad. What can happen of course is that a printer can drift out of the conditions in which a given profile was made. If it does, then by whatever amount the printer has drifted, then that profile is no longer valid.

Before you make a bunch of wild guesses do a re-linearization. That should tell you what is off. Been a long time since I ran Flexi but surly it has a re-linearization routine.

Actually, no, there isn't a relinearization option in Flexi. Not only is the linearization routine in Flexi pretty non-robust, but the way its Color Profiler is configured, if you back up in any media once an ICC is made or imported and attempt to change the readings, it dumps all subsequent data.

Of course, something would have to whack out pretty severely for 430 to turn brown overnight. My guess would be that you somehow or another turned off color mapping.