• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Match Car Color

Dice

Anyone have any tips on matching a specific color on a car? I was just going to get out the pantone chart and try and hit the pantone color.

Anyone have any tips? I have an iOne, but have never used it on a Car before.

eye4clr

I find it easy to hold up a pantone swatch book to the paint then i always have that as a reference during production.

cptcorn

adad
Usually for matching specific car colors I'll use a Pantone chart as a starting reference. Then I'll print a few (20 or so) small swatches in that similar range to get closer. Granted if you use this method if you ever have to reprint it, you'll want to check your color accuracy.

eye4clr knows his color, what ever advice he offers in the filed, listen to him, he has an eye for it. I learned a lot from him on another site.

eye4clr

agreed that printing variations is better than relying on the pantone 100%. Some car paints just can't be matched due to saturation or metalic looks. Sometimes setting customer expectation lower is far easier that trying to get an exact match.

Si Allen

Go to your local auto paint store and buy a spray can or 2 of the specific color, then spray a vinyl that is close to the color... one light coat is enough.

Quick and easy!

grafixemporium

Some paint jobs simply cannot be matched with a digital print. Metallic and pearl type finishes are impossible. Also, paints with clear coats and digital prints will appear different in different light sources. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice and find a color that works most of the time. We never guarantee an exact match.

eye4clr

Best advice = don't even try to match the paint color. Instead design something that doesn't depend on the paint match.

WrapperX

Maybe shoot for a complimenting color. (If you make a color wheel, the color directly opposite is it's compliment) And use the base color as a additive and not a hinderance.

Sparky

I have a couple of race shops that have me print paint matched sheets for them to use if the cars get a bit banged up. This is the biggest headache job out there.

I always have a piece of the car to match, and I do it outdoors, where the car will be seen by most people. Once I get close to the right color, I start changing color values a tiny bit at a time and print about 5 4"x4" squares. If one looks close outdoors, I will then cut a V into the square and analyze the color right up next to the printed color. Once it looks right, I stand back a bit and see if it still looks right. If it passes both tests, I print away.

Oh yeah, Be SURE to laminate your print before comparing colors.

Chances are it will not look right under florescent lights, but it will outside.

Like I said, A huge headache job, but sometimes you can't design around it.

I do have one customer that took my printed color that he likes to his painter and had him match that. He is a smart customer that I will keep around for a while!