• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color output Issues

OADesign

Hi All.
Happy Friday.

Of course as my luck would have it, I have this rush order, due before end of biz. End of biz being the instant this job is done.
Customer sends file (designed on a mac) not sure if that matters.

See the issues here.
attachment.php

what I see in photoshop.

attachment.php

This is what come out of my sc545.

Embedded profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I have tried converting to CMYK.
Changing to Adobe RGB 1998. Saving as a tiff and changing the byte order to PC.
Tried density color control only in VersaWorks and a few more things but to no avail.
Still a just variations on the second image. Any ideas?

Maybe I'm just tired and missing some thing.

Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160610_135827.jpg
    20160610_135827.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 177

Bly

Create a custom profile then simply open and print -> neutral greys.

If you can't, either tweak in the RIP or try different profiles until it's acceptable.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Maybe try GBV and changing Matching Method to perceptual in Color Management? Might help, might not?

dypinc

Hi All.
Happy Friday.

Of course as my luck would have it, I have this rush order, due before end of biz. End of biz being the instant this job is done.
Customer sends file (designed on a mac) not sure if that matters.

See the issues here.

Embedded profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I have tried converting to CMYK.
Changing to Adobe RGB 1998. Saving as a tiff and changing the byte order to PC.
Tried density color control only in VersaWorks and a few more things but to no avail.
Still a just variations on the second image. Any ideas?

Maybe I'm just tired and missing some thing.

Thanks in advanced.

Looks like Adobe RGB was assigned somewhere as an input profile when the input profile should have been sRGB.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Try setting your Rendering Intents for bitmaps to 'Perceptual' and send a plain vanilla RGB jpg file. This should give you as close to what you see is what you get as you're likely to achieve.

Correct Color

It's your printer profile. Nothing less or more and just as simple as that.

Bottom line is that your RIP converts your image, pixel by pixel, from whatever color space it's in -- or you tell the RIP it's in -- to whatever destination color space you also tell it -- which is the ICC profile in the media profile you're using.

If that profile matches what your printer actually prints, then you'll get prints that are accurate representations of the files you send the printer. If it doesn't, then you won't.

It's not an issue of a mis-applied input profile. That can certainly happen, but it will almost always make an image overall hotter or cooler depending on the move; what it will typically not do is make a neutral shift like the one you see here.

Whatever printer profile you're using does not convert your images to -- create dots that relate to -- how your printer actually prints, and you will always see that in neutrals first. Simple as that.

OADesign

Happy Friday All,

Just wanted to post a follow up to this as I had the exact same situation today.

Create a custom profile then simply open and print -> neutral greys.

If you can't, either tweak in the RIP or try different profiles until it's acceptable.

Tried tweaking in RIP. Didn't work. Don't know how to effectively create new profile. Tried "density control only" in VersaWorks to no avail.

Maybe try GBV and changing Matching Method to perceptual in Color Management? Might help, might not?

GBV produced a different result. But still no were near what I was seeing on screen.

Looks like Adobe RGB was assigned somewhere as an input profile when the input profile should have been sRGB.

I thought the same. But I gave up trying and eventually gave up. Refunded the customer who was fine with it.

Try setting your Rendering Intents for bitmaps to 'Perceptual' and send a plain vanilla RGB jpg file. This should give you as close to what you see is what you get as you're likely to achieve.

Tried this. Still poor results.

It's your printer profile. Nothing less or more and just as simple as that.

Bottom line is that your RIP converts your image, pixel by pixel, from whatever color space it's in -- or you tell the RIP it's in -- to whatever destination color space you also tell it -- which is the ICC profile in the media profile you're using.

If that profile matches what your printer actually prints, then you'll get prints that are accurate representations of the files you send the printer. If it doesn't, then you won't.

It's not an issue of a mis-applied input profile. That can certainly happen, but it will almost always make an image overall hotter or cooler depending on the move; what it will typically not do is make a neutral shift like the one you see here.

Whatever printer profile you're using does not convert your images to -- create dots that relate to -- how your printer actually prints, and you will always see that in neutrals first. Simple as that.

This ^^^

Took a leap and tried printing with the GCVP profile in VW. Not sure why I didn't go this route in the first place. Maybe I was afraid it would lay ink weird or produce banding. I dunno. Ultimately, this was the fix today, and probable was the fix back then. Still unclear on why it occurs. But glad to have an acceptable work around.

Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to offer a solution.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
+1 with correct color. It's your printer profile. I'm assuming you're using a "Canned profile" something that your printer or rip supplied profile. they can be good and they can be bad.

Do you have a Spectrophotometer?

I'm going to assume you don't. (pardon if you do have one)

I believe every print shop needs a spectro, and at least 1 program to create a printer profile. You can do enough with them to improve your print quality

ideally:
http://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/i1publish-pro-2

Or if you dont want all the software ect and trying to stay on a budget.
http://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/i1basic-pro-2

Or you might be able to find a spectro on ebay. But the Xrite i1 tends to work with most software.

Heres a pdf on how to make a profile with your rip.
http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/d...s/manuals and guides/versaworks_profiling.pdf

AF

+1 with correct color. It's your printer profile. I'm assuming you're using a "Canned profile" something that your printer or rip supplied profile. they can be good and they can be bad.

Do you have a Spectrophotometer?

I'm going to assume you don't. (pardon if you do have one)

I believe every print shop needs a spectro, and at least 1 program to create a printer profile. You can do enough with them to improve your print quality

ideally:
http://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/i1publish-pro-2

Or if you dont want all the software ect and trying to stay on a budget.
http://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/i1basic-pro-2

Or you might be able to find a spectro on ebay. But the Xrite i1 tends to work with most software.

Heres a pdf on how to make a profile with your rip.
http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/d...s/manuals and guides/versaworks_profiling.pdf

I will add this link for those who have the means and the need:

http://www.barbierielectronic.com/en/digital-imaging/1-0.html

And I will suggest considering the i1 Publish Pro2 package if going with i1 as it lets you use the spectro to calibrate your displays so that your softproofs are meaningful.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I will add this link for those who have the means and the need:

http://www.barbierielectronic.com/en/digital-imaging/1-0.html

And I will suggest considering the i1 Publish Pro2 package if going with i1 as it lets you use the spectro to calibrate your displays so that your softproofs are meaningful.

I use the Barbieri spectrophotometers. I have the Spectro Pad and the LFPrt.
Reason why i didn't mention it is they're more catered for professionals (if that's the right word to use) or a specific print shop.
I say this because when you buy a barbieri product. All you get is the spectro, and the software it uses to measure with (gateway). It doesn't do any more than read patches. You need other applications to create profiles with or to use in conjunction with the spectro.

Xrite i1 family all come in some sort of bundle, with their own software. and you pay for what you need it to do. - It's a good starter pack. i1 profiler is also a good program for creating icc profiles.