• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

color profile

noack214

i am currently using rasterlink pro 4 and like it do to the fact ive only been printing for about 6 months time.
ive tried the wasatch soft ware and was totally lost but i do need a color profiling system (not to mention wasatch is about $5000). but when i tried it there was a eye1 system that allowed me to scan my custom paint colors and import them, so they could be printed.
now i do know that if its not in the printers gamut i will never be able to get a identical match which im fine with.
what i am asking is does any1 know of a cheaper product i may use so i can accomplish this wonderful task of color management thank you for any ideas.
also sorry for the spelling im not the proof reader at my job:frustrated:

rfulford

Color management is never a light investment time wise or monetarily. Even though switching rips may be undesirable to you, $5k is not a lot to spend for a turn key system that does what you want reliably.

I personally use ProfileMaker Publish and an Eye-One which will run you about $2700 us. This software is capable of what you want to accomplish but you should expect a steep learning curve or budget some extra cash for training. If you already have profiling ability. You may be able to buy ProfileMaker's Color Picker application as a stand alone product. Color Picker will allow you to read your swatches and convert them to different color values based on icc profiles. The short list of the packages you want to look at are:

Monaco Profiler
BasICColor
ProfileMaker
Eye-One Design, Photo, Proof or XT (These are the least expensive options that you can bundle with an Eye-One Spectro)

Rooster

Raster link has a profiling module you can add to it. It's more expensive than the Wasatch RIP would be though.

Double check your pricing on the Wasatch. Unless you need their unlimited version with all the various printer drivers, they sell packages for different printer manufacturers (Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, etc) that are much more cost effective.

I can't really add anything to rfulford's list of profiling packages except that I'm glad I spent the dough years ago. The thousands I spent getting set-up have been returned many times back, in time and materials savings.

If you've got the money to spend then get yourself an i1iSis that automatically reads the charts. Reading strips is a relatively fast process. It's also relatively slow and you'll appreciate the investment in better/faster equipment with time. Especially in a smaller shop where time seems to be more of a commodity.