• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color profiling: with or without laminate?

SqueeGee

I have used an i1 to calibrate my profile for a while now... but I have always question if it would be a better idea to laminate the material between each step so I would get a more accurate final product. We Mostly use 3m IJ180C and a 3m luster Lam. The Laminate has a yellow tint to it when kind of makes Greys turn a little green. Has anyone else noticed this?

Anyway I haven't ever tried it but I was wondering if anyone had ever profiled their printer after laminating the swatches.

I have used an i1 to calibrate my profile for a while now... but I have always question if it would be a better idea to laminate the material between each step so I would get a more accurate final product. We Mostly use 3m IJ180C and a 3m luster Lam. The Laminate has a yellow tint to it when kind of makes Greys turn a little green. Has anyone else noticed this?

Anyway I haven't ever tried it but I was wondering if anyone had ever profiled their printer after laminating the swatches.

For a case wrap film such as IJ180c, it would be a good idea to laminate the chart prior to reading the ICC patch set, assuming that the production jobs are being laminated with the same laminate product. Do not laminate any of the other swatch charts that precede the ICC chart however...

You would want to laminate the color ramps as well to make sure you limit the ink channels properly too.

Not sure I agree with this. The ICC profile is responsible for color, where the other charts are for different purposes. Laminating the ink limiting chart or linearization chart before reading it could introduce other errors into the procedure.

kozel

We Mostly use 3m IJ180C and a 3m luster Lam. The Laminate has a yellow tint to it when kind of makes Greys turn a little green. Has anyone else noticed this?

Absolutely. It's always amazing to me how much difference it actually makes on neutral tones, considering how faint the yellow cast of the laminate really is.