• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Question

Mikeifg

I have a customer that want's me to match Sherwin Williams paint swatches. Problem i'm having is when i go to the SW site and get the RGB code and run a print it doesn't even come close. I told the customer it would be difficult. Am i missing something or is this an impossible task. Using Mutoh 1624 and Flexi rip.

Mike

Mikeifg

We actually physically go out to the site and color match with the PMS book in this case.
That's what i was thinking.Am i waisting time trying to match a non PMS Color? Alot of these requests are from customers with no PMS chart. They use a Sherwin Williams paint chart.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's what i was thinking.Am i waisting time trying to match a non PMS Color? Alot of these requests are from customers with no PMS chart. They use a Sherwin Williams paint chart.

Even with Pantone colors, the CMYK color space can only match about 55% of Pantone colors. At the end of the day, no matter where the color you are trying to match comes from, you are matching colors from different processes which is going to take some trial and error. I would try to get a sample of the color and then print a bunch of CMYK values until I find something close. Custom color profiling would help here as well.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Even with Pantone colors, the CMYK color space can only match about 55% of Pantone colors.
"The" CMYK color space is a misunderstanding for there are "many" CMYK color spaces and many of those spaces may handle a high percentage of Pantone colors. Compare the published claims among the current printing machine manufacturers and also compare any of their provided ICC output profiles against U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 for example.

Joe House

Custom color profiling would help here as well.

This is the starting point. And if you're doing this, you likely have a spectrophotometer, in which case you can directly measure the color of the paint chip. Then your design software should let you know if that color falls within the gamut of your printer profile for the media you intend to use. Now at least you know if you're chasing your tail or if you can actually hit the target (and/or how closely you can get to it).

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I have a customer that want's me to match Sherwin Williams paint swatches. Problem i'm having is when i go to the SW site and get the RGB code and run a print it doesn't even come close. I told the customer it would be difficult. Am i missing something or is this an impossible task. Using Mutoh 1624 and Flexi rip.

Mike
Unfortunately the SW site doesn't tell us which RGB color space they're referencing. (That I could readily find, anyway.)

One would typically get an actual color swatch and physically compare it against a sample chart with many colors printed using the process, materials, and machine to produce the finished product.

One should be aware of the critical path in regards to color management and especially what color values really relate to when creating the design file and the various translations the color values might endure during the course of printing.

Mike
Short of doing lots of trial and error, the easiest way to get close would be to get the sherwin chart or book, then print a large pantone chart on whatever material you're using and pick whatever matches closest. Keep both charts for later use.