• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

color question

graphics guru

using flex 8 pro, most drawings are done using pantone chart.
in the color settings under rendering intent you can change things.
pantone defaults colors in a spot mode.
i know leaving "pictures" at perceptual is best for accurate printing.
in the vector and text section i have have been jockying back in forth between
leaving at default "relative colormetric" or changing to "spot" mode for accuracy.
any body want to way in with any suggestions

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Set bitmaps to 'Perceptual' and everything else to 'Spot'.

Setting a rendering intent to 'Spot' removes, or at least minimizes, color correction for that component. Setting a rendering intent to, say, 'Relative Colormetric', pushes that component through the color correction engine in an effort to achieve the same colors produced by 'Spot'. Eliminate the middle man.

When you use 'Spot' you have complete control over what you print for black. If you use some other rendering intent you're taking pot luck and with darker colors usually end up with a lot more ink than you need or want. Those that don't use 'Spot' end up with arcane formulas for black. If you use 'Spot' you can use 0.0.0.100 for black and it works just fine without leaving puddles of ink. In fact, you'll want to change the formulations on the two blacks on the Flexi Pantone swatch table to 0.0.0.100. Down from 100.100.100.0.

The downside is that you leave the Pantone world. But you were never really in it anyway. This means that if someone demands a particular Pantone number you'll need to match it manually. Just like everyone else using whatever rendering intents they choose to use.