• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color setting - illustrator

GP

I have a printing / color question.

I just printed a file with a drop shadow created in illustrator. Exactly where the shadow ends, there is a line of discoloration, as if there is a block of transparency overlay produced from the drop shadow.

I recall this happening several years ago - and i think it was due to the file being in CMYK and the Shadow was RGB or visa versa.

I cannot remember how I fixed it. Sound familiar? Know where I can edit the color settings so they are consistent? Is there a way to avoid this all together?

Thanks,

GP

klmiller611

You can change the color mode by going
File>Document Color Mode

Now I've run into a lot of problems with drop shadows in Illustrator where the shadow is over a color area, it seems to cut a rectangular area almost like a piece of tissue paper over the color, lightening it. This is only visible after the file is ripped, and sometimes not until it is actually on the printer. What I usually do, is save the file, then open it in Photoshop and save it back out as a PDF or JPEG from there, then it rips properly.

Best
Ken

sfr table hockey

This is only visible after the file is ripped, and sometimes not until it is actually on the printer. What I usually do, is save the file, then open it in Photoshop and save it back out as a PDF or JPEG from there, then it rips properly.

Best
Ken
+1 for this

This is what I do. Some times I have tried to rasterize it in illustrator but the file is too large. Opening in photoshop does this as it opens (takes a min to open but works)

HaroldDesign

A lot of times this is caused by the shadow being over a spot color. Converting the spot color to process works if you're able to still hit the color at the printer.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Check your rendering intents in the rip.
They have to match and and the defaults (at least in Flexi) do not.
Bitmaps default to perceptual and vectors to relative chromatic.
Transparencies and soft shadows are bitmap effects.
set the vector to perceptual.

wayne k
guam usa

scott pagan

GAC05 is correct, check your RIP render intents to match for vector and raster (i use perceptual/perceptual). also remove any RIP spot color replacement/similar to converting spot colors to CMYK as mentioned. some spot color replacements will boost only the vector background colors and disregard the illy effects (raster layers on the vector) showing the discoloration "box".

Rooster

Another thing to check is that all your placed files have the correct input profile attached and that illustrator is set-up to recognize them.