Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color stops on Rockhopper

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by meris, Jun 23, 2008.

1. meris

meris New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Hi
    I'm new in the sign printing business, and also on the forum. I hope to find help here and maybe to help somebody.

I have Rockhopper 62" and some strange problem with it. Have a project to print out several bigger signs (60" x 70"). It starts well with printing a sign, but after maybe 40% is done, stops to print yellow or cyan. When I cancel the print and do nozzle check, the color (yellow or cyan) is blank. So no single line of that color. I have to do all the tricks with soaking head in cleaning solution, do clean nozzles several times, etc to get the color back. And when I start to print again, same thing occurs.
    Ink is getting to dumpers, so I think tubes are fine. I'm thinking that maybe connection between dumpers and head is liking and it takes air instead of ink.
    Any clues, any thoughts I'd highly appreciate. The customer is all over my head so I have to make the prints ASAP, so please help ....

:banghead:

2. Rollie

Rollie Very Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I does sound like a damper to me. Even thought the ink is getting to the dampers it doesn't necessarily rule it out. I have seen it before with my 48".
    I always keep spares around for this very reason.

Also, recentlyl when I changed my heads I had a similar problem and i tightened up the nuts that hold the dampers to the tubes and it fixed it.

Not sure if this helps.

3. rockz12

rockz12 Specializing in the strange and unusual

Jun 5, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Are you using OEM inks?

4. meris

meris New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    No, I'm not using original Mutoh ink, if that's what OEM means.

5. Rollie

Rollie Very Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer (neither am I)

6. Compilla

Compilla Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    OEM generally means "original equipment manufacturer.

7. meris

meris New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Oooo, :doh:

I guess, yes. I got it two months ago, and I'm pretty sure previous owner used OEM.

Thanks for the clarification.

8. Compilla

Compilla Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    It appears that you have an ink starvation issue.
    Remove the top cover off and inspect the ink lines for holes/kinks or air on the lines.
    Slight possibility you got a bad damper or O rings...

My 2¢