• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Colordao 1650 - Who has one and does wraps?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Yeah I saw with the demo that the 1650 ink is more *inky*.

We got the 1640 then they released the 50 about two weeks later. Naturally we were pretty p***** off as we’d have preferred the 1650, not to mention the value of the 1640 dropped dramatically once the 1650 came out.Still, the 1640 does what we need it to.

I just want a decent firmware update that will sort all the annoying niggles out. Been out long enough for them to have sorted all the problems but instead of focusing on that they dropped the 1650 and then threw all their resources at sorting all the stuff that didn’t work on that.

Christian @ 2CT Media

No it's more money per liter. I don't know about everywhere but every distributor that I've contacted, including Canon, it's been more.

And yes, it uses more ink. But not necessarily when printing. It wastes a ton more with maintenance. I've been through about 3 liters of waste ink since I got it in January. I called and complained, (they were shocked, surprise...) and they did a firmware upgrade that was supposed to do automatic maintenance less. It has helped but I'm still using more than I ever did with the 1640. Canon says it's because of the ink and that it requires more priming, therefore more waste.
We pay $125/liter for the 460 Optimized ink is that the same as you?

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
We pay $125/liter for the 460 Optimized ink is that the same as you?

Dang your getting a little better price than I am. I'm paying $132.50/liter. I'm not positive what Canon direct was but I believe they are $155 and another distributor quoted me $145.
I was only paying $108 for the 356B (1640 ink).

Christian @ 2CT Media

Dang your getting a little better price than I am. I'm paying $132.50/liter. I'm not positive what Canon direct was but I believe they are $155 and another distributor quoted me $145.
I was only paying $108 for the 356B (1640 ink).
Are you an early adopter? If so they gave you guys better pricing on the 1640 to make up for the issues

Last edited:

Grizzly

Yeah I saw with the demo that the 1650 ink is more *inky*.

We got the 1640 then they released the 50 about two weeks later. Naturally we were pretty p***** off as we’d have preferred the 1650, not to mention the value of the 1640 dropped dramatically once the 1650 came out.Still, the 1640 does what we need it to.

I just want a decent firmware update that will sort all the annoying niggles out. Been out long enough for them to have sorted all the problems but instead of focusing on that they dropped the 1650 and then threw all their resources at sorting all the stuff that didn’t work on that.

I agree 100%! That is what happened to us. We were promised all kinds of firmware upgrades/updates and got nothing....but you can buy a new printer...!
Some of them released with the 1650.
What problems are you having? I'll let you know if the 1650 actually fixed them. In all reality, some of the things are still not refined with the 1650 either.

Last edited:

Grizzly

We're you an early adopter? If so they gave you guys better pricing on the 1640 to make up for the issues

We bought ours through Pacific Office Automation in December of 2018 which is the largest distributor of Canon Products. (Not necessarily wide format, but all of the commercial printers.) I don't really think that would be considered early adopters. I'm glad we at least waited until the 3rd version of the 356B ink. I believe we were the first or second for POA for the 1640. (At least in Utah)

Christian @ 2CT Media

We bought ours through Pacific Office Automation in December of 2018 which is the largest distributor of Canon Products. (Not necessarily wide format, but all of the commercial printers.) I don't really think that would be considered early adopters. I'm glad we at least waited until the 3rd version of the 356B ink. I believe we were the first or second for POA for the 1640. (At least in Utah)
We bought ours from POA too... I know when Canon first tried to sell us in 2017 they were offering $100/liter inks if we bought during release.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I agree 100%! That is what happened to us. We were promised all kinds of firmware upgrades/updates and got nothing....but you can buy a new printer...!
Some of them released with the 1650.
What problems are you having? I'll let you know if the 1650 actually fixed them. In all reality, some of the things are still not refined with the 1650 either.

honestly it’s mostly small stuff. My biggest grievance is that switching between wind and cut after each copy doesn’t quite work every time. Once I’ve printed a roll, hit pause. Switch to cut after each copy, load the roll then let it print. It’ll not wind and not cut after each copy. (I don’t ever hit “no” so it’s either wind or cut for us). But it prints as if I’ve selected no.

not sure if this is a Colorado or onyx problem but when sending jobs after I’ve selected the media size I want in onyx, when it gets to the Colorado it’ll select the closest media size to the width of the print I sent instead of the media size I had set In onyx (I know I can click the box in layout copies but if I’m sending 500 posters I’m not keen on hitting send 250 times, for most media’s I have layout copies turned off so it sends without the prompt). I.e. I send a 1m x 2m sign so print and I want it on a 1370 roll, when it gets to the Colorado it’ll say it’s for a 1220 roll. (Would love to be able to edit media and or media size on the actual Colorado and not have to go re-send that job).

Cut failing if you leave vinyl on the platen for like 5 mins (confirmed fix in the new firmware, still waiting). If print finishes when I’m on lunch, I pretty much have to treat it as a paper jam when I get back.

Also would like a media feed forward/backwards. My 10 y/o mimaki can do that, why can’t the Colorado?

calibration; the 1640 only calibrates on reliance mode, 1650 calibrates at every print mode to my knowledge.

a couple other things but for a two year or so old printer, it still feels sortve Test-ish. Naturally I know it’s first gen but they could at least fix the dumb stuff