• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

colored outdoor insert?

raider

Our high school ag class has cut a 2-sided sign out of metal with their plasma torch and need a colored "insert" to go in between the panels so it is readable from both sides (the sign is two sheets of metal with letters cut out and then welded to each other back to back with a gap between them) It's an outdoor sign and the slot for the insert is 1/2" - 3/4" thick. What would be the best material to use?

Rocco G

Since this is for a school, I'm going to assume you want something as cheap as possible. Around here at least, the schools never have loads of disposable money for projects like this.

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest just going with another sheet of metal (or wood or whatever your class has at hand) and paint it. You could even paint the two sides a different color or get someone from the school's art department to get creative with the coloring/design of the insert.

Yes, you can go out and buy something but with schools "low cost" is always important. My wife is a teacher and so I'm often asked to do something on the cheap - usually for free. You could even call a local sign company and see if they have any old sign panels laying around.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At only 3/4" separation.... whatever you use, make sure no light can pass through it, or you'll have some distortion if sunlight or some other light source act on it. It should be completely opaque.