• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ColorMunki - Corel and Versaworks

DirtyD

I decided to buy ColorMunki Display - to create a monitor profile and to get me started with colormanagemnet without a huge investment.

The ColorMunki was very user friendly to get setup and create a monitor profile - Everything on my monitor looks very natural now.

My question is I design in Corel - I have set the working space to the monitor profile and in Versaworks I changed the Monitor proofing to that same profile.

Do i need to change anything else to that profile for instance the Simulation target Profiles in Versaworks - Is there other things to change in Corel?

Basically now that I profiled my monitor what is the best practice to get the most out of it using Corel and Versaworks? Thank You

Correct Color

Never use your monitor profile as your working space.

Ever.

You can think of your monitor as a window through which you view your work. A monitor profile simply washes that window. Of course, it's possible to make a bad or inaccurate profile, so that you may have washed it with motor oil, or red or green or blue tint instead of Windex, but that's another issue.

The purpose of color management is to move your work from an inception color space to a working color space to a destination color space without corrupting your color, and while keeping it as accurate to the original image as possible. And since your monitor is unique to your system, the only time it would ever be a destination space is if you're creating files for your very own use that will never bee seen anywhere else. And what your working space needs to be is some industry standard RGB color space, which one depending on what type of work you do.

As for the setting in Versaworks, yes, in that dialogue, you'd point it to your monitor profile. However, keep in mind that what checking that setting does is shows you somewhat of a "soft proof" in your job list window. And what that means is that that image is viewed with the printer profile you've selected applied to the image.

So regardless of your monitor profile, that image will only be accurate to the extent the printer profile you're using matches what your printer actually prints. It's also kind of a weird setting in that the operating system is already using the monitor profile, so it really shouldn't need to be selected there at all. However if you play around with it, it's clearly doing something, but I've never trusted it. Far better to soft proof in design applications.

Bottom line though is that washing the window doesn't really do you a whole lot of good unless you're confident that what you see through the window is accurate.

Or in other words, honestly, you've kind of started at the wrong end of the process. Once you get the rest of color management in order, then it's time to wash the windows.

DirtyD

Ohhhh.......:banghead:

Well i will change my Corel Working space back to adobe 1998, I will keep the monitor profile changed in versaworks still -

Thank you.. I have no clue about colormanagement -I was having issues with some blues and thought this would help me see the color more naturally on the screen.. But I really don't know what I'm doing..

Again thanks for the response