• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colors Changing?

SIGNTIME

I've notice in the past in illustrator that color value sometimes change. For example say I grab a shape that is grey c-0 m-0 y-0 k-25, and copy and paste it to a new file and it now is c-19.37 m-15.01 y-15.53 k-0. Is there a setting to stop this from happening? I'm sure that the conversion isn't to noticeable printed but for certain colors like black it is.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I've had that happen too. It blows my mind. I hope one the the experts here can enlighten us... :bookworm

bmortvedt

Premium Subscriber
Is the color space of the original file CMYK, and you're pasting into an RGB file? If your color palette is open to CMYK in an RGB document it doesn't mean that the color you're using is CMYK. That situation is showing a translation of the RGB formula in CMYK format.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your color management policies are probably set to, "Convert to working space" and the file you are copying from has a different color profile than the one you are copying to. There is an option called, "Preserve Numbers" which keeps the CMYK values the same and ignores the profile of the original file.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Ahhh, that makes sense. I've had different objects with different colors paces in the same document. Like, it's gray, and I try to assign a specific color but its still gray - then I have to change that object from gray scale to CMYK.