Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colors not lining up

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by fast-lane-graphics, Jun 29, 2010.

1. fast-lane-graphics

fast-lane-graphics Member

Sep 19, 2007
    I have a question about the output on my Gerber. I have created a design and applied strokes and some overlaps to take care of the small gaps that occur when printing with the edge but I am still getting them pretty bad. Is there a way to re-align the printer so when it rewinds itself it will get closer to the exact starting point? Here is a picture of the problem. You can see how far off the green is printing. Please excuse the ugly colors, I didnt want to waste the expensive foils.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The gaps appear because you haven't allowed enough tolerance in your layout to compensate for the errors you will get when Edge printing. It will vary with the amount of foil left on each foil in relationship to the others. Gerber introduced a utility program to shift the positions starting with Omega 3 and improved it with Omega 4.

Your alternative is to just print it using CMYK instead of spot colors. By doing that you now will have percentage blending where the colors meet instead of knockouts of the spot colors. Use Classical Dot with an LPI of 70.7 and your print will look very close to spot color solids.

3. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
    I also tried to rotate the image 90* and the print is still off in the same direction, the same amount.

4. Mjozzie

Mjozzie Member

Aug 29, 2007
    colors off

I've gone so far as to adjust my design to compensate for colors being off. It will look bad on screen but prints great. Takes some test prints but once you get it it's on.

5. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
    Thanks Fred, I will look in my manual about that utility. I did add a stroke to my outlines to cover some of it up, but when I start adding a thicker stroke to fill the white space I am left with not so fine outlines... LOL

I am not sure the CMYK idea will work as most of those colors will be swaped out for fluorescents or chromes. That is the reason I am trying to get it closer before I waste those foils.

thanks!

6. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
    I had that thought as well but Would like to get it closer if I can.

7. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
    Do you happen to know what that utility is called?

8. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    No but Tony might chime in when he gets time.

9. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
    Ok, thanks Fred. :)

10. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
  11. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
  12. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

Thank you gentleman, I do not know how I missed this yesterday.

13. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Getting closer.
    Once the chromes hit the vinyl get ready to get BUSY!.

14. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
    Thanks tres. I ran the utility before I had to leave for a bit and I see what needs to be done. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a few new wraps. :D

15. fast-lane-graphics

Sep 19, 2007
    I have to give a HUGE thanks to Dana Goodale @ Gerber. He has went above and beyond getting me workways with my new printer and I am confident that with his help I will be producing stuff that is just as good as my other printer.

Thanks again Dana! :U Rock::U Rock: