• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colorspan 72UVR

Ditchmiester

Looking to purchase a used colorspan 72UVR. I'm going up next Friday to look at one and wondering if anyone who has had one or has one has any advice for things I should be looking for about the machine to make sure it's in good working condition? Thanks.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
There's quite a bit of aluminum in the platen and carriage beams -- might be worth something at the recyclers...

just kidding...

if it is in good shape, and comes with a RIP, might be worth 2,000 to 4,000

If possible, have them print the jet substitution job, so you can actually see how many jets are out. The less, the better, of course...

HulkSmash

Looking to purchase a used colorspan 72UVR. I'm going up next Friday to look at one and wondering if anyone who has had one or has one has any advice for things I should be looking for about the machine to make sure it's in good working condition? Thanks.

Let me save you the trouble. The Colorspan is a giant paper weight, nothing but problems. Possibly one of the worse flatbeds ever made.

Ditchmiester

Let me save you the trouble. The Colorspan is a giant paper weight, nothing but problems. Possibly one of the worse flatbeds ever made.

I've heard a lot of people say that but also I have heard people say they are work horses. We are more looking to get one of these for reasonable price to experiment with moving our screen printing business to Digital Printing. This is why we don't want to drop 85 - 100K on a brand new UV digital printer. Even if we use this machine for a year or less and get a good education on what it takes to digital print our signs the 5K or under investment that it would have been I think would be worth it and then we can get into a solid new machine. Then we can make the decision if the Hybrid or Traditional flat bed is right for us.

I operated one a year or so ago..it had problems but it was a workhorse when it worked.
The trouble is going to be the lack of tech support/parts

It has 16 heads and each one is x hundred dollars. Plus side is you can tell the printer which slowly clogging/breaking nozzles aren't firing which saves the print quality (which is mid range anyway)

I'd say if you see it work, can get it for a few thousand, and you can clean it, you are in business.

Ditchmiester

Well we made an offer on the printer and are now waiting to hear if they are willing to sell it for what we offered. If they do we will have our first UV printer on Friday.

Ditchmiester

Well we are picking our printer up Friday and I have a quick question. We need to flush the lines so we can transport this printer, but we have never done this before. Does anyone have any videos or instructions on how to flush the lines on a Colorspan 72UVR?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Well we are picking our printer up Friday and I have a quick question. We need to flush the lines so we can transport this printer, but we have never done this before. Does anyone have any videos or instructions on how to flush the lines on a Colorspan 72UVR?

There is a detailed step-by-step flush process in the manual. You'll need a box of flush for that, as well.

Ditchmiester

Okay, Thanks I found the manual on HP's website and ordered a box of flush and a syringe for pushing the flush through the lines. Thanks for your help.

Ditchmiester

Well we got the printer back to our shop. We moved it from Lacross wisconsin to our shop just outside of Chicago and today we got it up and running and did our first prime bar print on .020 styrene and it looked pretty good. I have attached a picture of the printer after we got it off the trailer.

Attachments

• 72UVR.JPG
    72UVR.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 94