• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colorspan 72UVX: Black ink leaking into carriage?

Lindquist

I have an unusual issue with black ink on our Colorspan 72UVX. It appears that black ink is leaking into the carriage, but I'm not sure what is causing it or how I can fix the problem.

A couple months ago, in the middle of a print, our Colorspan 72UVX quit putting out black ink. We printed prime bars afterwards to find that almost all of the jets were not firing (each head showed only a few). I called HP and spoke to a tech, and ultimately scheduled to have someone visit on site (something we were planning to do anyway just for a check up and to look into unrelated issues).

Oddly enough, just a day or two before the on site visit (a weekend had passed without using the printer), the black ink mysteriously reappeared. I spoke to the tech about the problem, but we were not able to find anything wrong at the time.

The black continued to perform as expected until a couple of weeks ago when it disappeared again without warning. Then, the next morning it was back again. And last week it vanished and came back, again. Now, I'm once again without black ink (and I fully expect it to reappear soon), and I'm not sure what is causing this problem.

Today, I noticed that there is wet black ink inside the carriage. Some of the ink is covering one of the ribbon wires and more has settled along the bottom of the carriage. Has anyone had a similar situation or have any suggestions on fixing the problem?

The black print heads have not been replaced, but all four reservoirs on the print heads were replaced late last year/early this year (we replaced 12 reservoirs, and all 4 cyan print heads within the last two years).

artbot

doesn't it sound like you've got ink down in your head's data port. i'd turn that printer off and take out that head asap to inspect. i had one cyan head not printing (after install). i figured that the ribbon just wasn't seated properly. then i see ink on the ribbon. when you get ink on the ribbon it can travel down right into the head. bad stuff.

wunder

if you have inside the plastiv reservoir...you can be sure thats on or more leaking and leaking only by pump the ink or purge.

there is only a seal and this is the problem ....you must all disassemble and check it or renew it directly and all fine :notworthy:

best regards
wunder