• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colour issues

evader

I am doing four 20' x 3' banners for a client...they are printed full colour and I am sending the file to someone else to print for me.

The design was set up in Corel Draw and has some flames in the background of the banners...the problem I'm having is the image of the flames is currently in RGB and when I convert the image to CMYK the colours look terrible.

I've attached a sample to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (I know the quality isn't great but you can see what I mean). The first image is the RGB and the second image is the CMYK.

The black turns kind of redish after converting it to CMYK. How can I fix this so the blacks stay black?

Thanks

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 100

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Don't convert RGB to CMYK to send to a printer or out to be printed.

Send the RBG file to whomever or whatever will be doing the printing and let their RIP deal with it. A RIP does the conversion for specific hardware and specific media and is more intense. It will do a far better job than any general purpose software you might have. Generally if you send RGB to a printer, what you see is pretty much what you get.

If your printer whines and moans, find another printer. This one doesn't get it.

Jackpine

Bob is absolutely correct. RGB for bitmap file. Your fill came in RGB format.
Don't convert RGB to CMYK to send to a printer or out to be printed.

Send the RBG file to whomever or whatever will be doing the printing and let their RIP deal with it. A RIP does the conversion for specific hardware and specific media and is more intense. It will do a far better job than any general purpose software you might have. Generally if you send RGB to a printer, what you see is pretty much what you get.

If your printer whines and moans, find another printer. This one doesn't get it.

scuba_steve2699

a common misconception is that since it is a CMYK printer, you must convert to CMYK before sending it to the printer. The printers have a much larger gamut or available color output than SWOP CMYK. Let the RIP bring the colors in and you will get a much richer print.