Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Colour Match - 3M Reflective vs Other (Cheaper) Brands

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by Moosh89, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Moosh89

Moosh89 New Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Saskatchewan
    I'm looking to recreate some reflective decals as seen from a film (from 1985-86) for some friends. Production used 3M brand reflective vinyl but I'm looking for something that has the same-ish colours but not as expensive.

The colours I'm most interested in finding suitable alternatives are the White, Green, Orange and Yellow by 3M. I've tried an "in house" brand from an auto wrap shop on eBay which was affordable but the Orange is darker/more red (The Orange and Green are two colours that are most important to me). Next I've ordered a few 8x10 sheets of Oralite 5500 which won't be here for a few weeks.

Production also had Silver that reflects White but I haven't even found anything available today by 3M that matches.

Thank you

2. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Good luck. Films used in the '80's are not the same films used today. 3M does a pretty good job at maintaining color consistency though. Unless you have "Productions" part numbers, it's just going to come down to experimenting. There is no reflective silver, nor has there ever been. White looks "grey-ish" depending on manufacturer. All reflect with a different white point.

3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What film was it, or do you have a picture of the decals? I'm curious.

4. Moosh89

Moosh89 New Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Saskatchewan
    Thanks for the replies. A friend owns production used set dressing with decals and production made decals which were not used. The set dressing has the silver reflective (unknown brand) decals which had screen print graphics over them. The production made but unused decals are 3M brand made with White, Orange, Green, Yellow and Black reflective.

I'm just looking for a close, cheaper colour match to 3M, mostly for Orange and Green for the other decals, and any silver reflective vinyl.

5. asapsignsfl1

asapsignsfl1 Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Clearwater, Florida
    Hello Moosh,

I've a question if I may. What is 'Production'? I am looking for a silver reflective vinyl and could not come up with one.
    Thanks... Bob P
    Clearwater, FL

6. Greatis

Greatis New Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Jamaica
    Test

7. Moosh89

Moosh89 New Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Saskatchewan
    "Production" is just the term to say the decals were "produced" by the movie team for use in the film. In this case it's not a brand of vinyl or anything ;)

If I happen to find any silver that reflects white, I'll be sure to post it here

8. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

As far as I know there has never been a silver reflective vinyl, at least not back to the early 1990's when I started. Usually when people say they have silver reflective it's really the white, which is roughly equivalent to Cool Gray 3 on a Pantone chart.

There are only 3 manufacturers of reflective vinyl I think you'll find generally available, 3M, Avery, and Oracal. Each has several lines of reflective at varying price points. The cheapest will usually be what they call "Engineering Grade". Of those, 3M is most expensive, closely followed by Avery, and Oaralite is cheapest by far. However Oralite's orange is lighter than 3M's. The greens are close.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moosh89

Moosh89 New Member

Jan 30, 2020
    Saskatchewan
    This is exactly the info I was looking for - thank you VERY much!