• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Colour Match - 3M Reflective vs Other (Cheaper) Brands

Moosh89

I'm looking to recreate some reflective decals as seen from a film (from 1985-86) for some friends. Production used 3M brand reflective vinyl but I'm looking for something that has the same-ish colours but not as expensive.

The colours I'm most interested in finding suitable alternatives are the White, Green, Orange and Yellow by 3M. I've tried an "in house" brand from an auto wrap shop on eBay which was affordable but the Orange is darker/more red (The Orange and Green are two colours that are most important to me). Next I've ordered a few 8x10 sheets of Oralite 5500 which won't be here for a few weeks.

Production also had Silver that reflects White but I haven't even found anything available today by 3M that matches.

Thank you

letterman7

Good luck. Films used in the '80's are not the same films used today. 3M does a pretty good job at maintaining color consistency though. Unless you have "Productions" part numbers, it's just going to come down to experimenting. There is no reflective silver, nor has there ever been. White looks "grey-ish" depending on manufacturer. All reflect with a different white point.

Moosh89

Thanks for the replies. A friend owns production used set dressing with decals and production made decals which were not used. The set dressing has the silver reflective (unknown brand) decals which had screen print graphics over them. The production made but unused decals are 3M brand made with White, Orange, Green, Yellow and Black reflective.

I'm just looking for a close, cheaper colour match to 3M, mostly for Orange and Green for the other decals, and any silver reflective vinyl.

Ready

Ready To Go
I'm looking to recreate some reflective decals as seen from a film (from 1985-86) for some friends. Production used 3M brand reflective vinyl but I'm looking for something that has the same-ish colours but not as expensive.

The colours I'm most interested in finding suitable alternatives are the White, Green, Orange and Yellow by 3M. I've tried an "in house" brand from an auto wrap shop on eBay which was affordable but the Orange is darker/more red (The Orange and Green are two colours that are most important to me). Next I've ordered a few 8x10 sheets of Oralite 5500 which won't be here for a few weeks.

Production also had Silver that reflects White but I haven't even found anything available today by 3M that matches.

Thank you
Hello Moosh,

I've a question if I may. What is 'Production'? I am looking for a silver reflective vinyl and could not come up with one.
Thanks... Bob P
Clearwater, FL

Greatis

Thank you
Test

Moosh89

Hello Moosh,

I've a question if I may. What is 'Production'? I am looking for a silver reflective vinyl and could not come up with one.
Thanks... Bob P
Clearwater, FL

"Production" is just the term to say the decals were "produced" by the movie team for use in the film. In this case it's not a brand of vinyl or anything ;)

If I happen to find any silver that reflects white, I'll be sure to post it here

unclebun

As far as I know there has never been a silver reflective vinyl, at least not back to the early 1990's when I started. Usually when people say they have silver reflective it's really the white, which is roughly equivalent to Cool Gray 3 on a Pantone chart.

There are only 3 manufacturers of reflective vinyl I think you'll find generally available, 3M, Avery, and Oracal. Each has several lines of reflective at varying price points. The cheapest will usually be what they call "Engineering Grade". Of those, 3M is most expensive, closely followed by Avery, and Oaralite is cheapest by far. However Oralite's orange is lighter than 3M's. The greens are close.

Moosh89

As far as I know there has never been a silver reflective vinyl, at least not back to the early 1990's when I started. Usually when people say they have silver reflective it's really the white, which is roughly equivalent to Cool Gray 3 on a Pantone chart.

There are only 3 manufacturers of reflective vinyl I think you'll find generally available, 3M, Avery, and Oracal. Each has several lines of reflective at varying price points. The cheapest will usually be what they call "Engineering Grade". Of those, 3M is most expensive, closely followed by Avery, and Oaralite is cheapest by far. However Oralite's orange is lighter than 3M's. The greens are close.

This is exactly the info I was looking for - thank you VERY much!