• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coming out of lurk mode

farmer

I've lurked around here a couple of months and have been trying to read/learn as much as I can about printing and wraps.

I stumbled across a Prints In Motion Ad in Wraps magazine and signed up for the one day seminar. It was only $35 and they offered lunch......

The Prints In Motion deal was a one day crash course on from equipment to installing wraps, of course they only had equipment from the sponsors of the event but I sort of expected to get the sales pitch from them and did not.

I really want to attend the Fellers training class but don't know when I'll be able to.

I was able to meet a ton of really nice folks in the business and they were all gracious enough to answer all my newbie questions.

I'll post a couple of newbie questions for you all,

1. How do you approach an established shop about printing and the pricing?

2. If I supply the graphic that has been worked up in Corel Draw, is there anything I need to do to prepare the graphic? Just sent them the .EPS or corel file and tell them the size I'd like it?

3. Can anyone recommend a good book for Corel Draw? I've found Advanced Artists but that guy goes really indepth fast, I need the short bus version......

Thanks for all the great info everyone posts here, it's a tremendous help.

Farmer

one50npump

I've lurked around here a couple of months and have been trying to read/learn as much as I can about printing and wraps.

I stumbled across a Prints In Motion Ad in Wraps magazine and signed up for the one day seminar. It was only $35 and they offered lunch......

The Prints In Motion deal was a one day crash course on from equipment to installing wraps, of course they only had equipment from the sponsors of the event but I sort of expected to get the sales pitch from them and did not.

I really want to attend the Fellers training class but don't know when I'll be able to.

I was able to meet a ton of really nice folks in the business and they were all gracious enough to answer all my newbie questions.

I'll post a couple of newbie questions for you all,

2. If I supply the graphic that has been worked up in Corel Draw, is there anything I need to do to prepare the graphic? Just sent them the .EPS or corel file and tell them the size I'd like it?

3. Can anyone recommend a good book for Corel Draw? I've found Advanced Artists but that guy goes really indepth fast, I need the short bus version......

Thanks for all the great info everyone posts here, it's a tremendous help.

Farmer

try this:
file:///c:/Program%20Files/Corel/CorelDRAW%20ESSENTIALS/Tutors/Draw/html_docs/Workspace_Tour/d_wkt_01.htm

P

ProWraps™

been to the same seminar. was fun stuff. good luck with corel. its tricky!

Jeremy092288

Hey Farmer... and Tecdady... That class is coming here in march... do you think it's worth it to take a day and head up to orlando?

P

ProWraps™

everything is worth a day. its fun. they gave away a 14 thousand $ laminator, and a bunch of other stuff. and it was informative. i would say do it.

vid

Wow, based on the posts this week, it sure seems like a tough day for a newbie to come out of lurk mode...

May God Bless you!

(edit) I stumbled across a Prints In Motion Ad in Wraps magazine and signed up for the one day seminar. It was only $35 and they offered lunch......

The one I went to was at a winery... and a great lunch. I was surprised by the volume of information and organization of material --- and lack of sales pitch. I thought it was a great overview with substance.

...with a fat wad of cash. Our shop wouldn't be necessarily friendly to someone that is learning CorelDraw. Heck, I gave a tongue lashing to an established customer for screwing up a Word Doc today. The blithering idiot secretary used spaces instead of tabs, and hard returns instead of soft ones - the hack. Only cash tempers my patience with such lunacy.

Hopefully you grabbed some cards at the presentation for reference.

We would accept the CDR file. We'd prefer an RGB file built with Pantone spot colors. From the Prints in Motion presentation, you heard that the staff is split on what type of mode is preferred. That'd be a question to ask the shop before you complete your art --- unless you're already working in RGB and understand the difference with CYMK.

Again, contact the shop and ask their prefered format. Ideally, it'll be at actual size so there's no question on how to scale the image. Make sure you've measured everything on the actual vehicle --- go through the presentation again that you received on CD to review the common mistakes.

I'm assuming that you're planning on your wrapping it yourself. If that's the case, I'd suggest that you half-wrap to get a feel for the media and save a couple o' bucks for reprints. Wrap a portion in just white so that you're not paying the print cost on top of the vinyl, too.

Tryhttp://www.unleash.com. ...or pick your poison atamazon.com

Good luck with your endeavors....

farmer

Hey Farmer... and Tecdady... That class is coming here in march... do you think it's worth it to take a day and head up to orlando?

it was worth it to me. I had zero exposure to this kind of stuff, it was hosted at the Embassy Suites and the catering was deluxe, I'd go back just for the lunch!

Plus the MC, Marybeth is easy on the eyes!

wcso35

I know this sounds stupid, but try youtube. There are a ton of videos on there that can help. I teaches you alot of the basics.

D3G

Opinion on the Signs in Motion class - total waste of time. It was a 6 hour sales class and I wasn't impressed with the vehicle wrap. White vinyl with a little splash of color. It didn't help that trashed the Roland machines and that's what I use. Just an opinion.