• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Commercial Tint Leaving Streaky Residue

Hey All,

We have done a number or commercial window tints in the past with no issues but the last 2 tint jobs we have done have left a streaky residue behind the tint making the clients unhappy with the final product. The first time we noticed the streakiness it was 30+ degrees celsius and then the most recent tint job was around the -1 -2 kind of temp. We use rapid tac as the wet install but we can seem to figure out why it's leaving the streaks and why all of a sudden this has become a thing. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea of why this happens? we are going to redo the job but would like to figure out why this happening before peeling it off and having it happen again. any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers

unclebun

Check with the manufacturer of the film for what liquid you are supposed to be using for application. It is probably plain water, water with soap, or a proprietary spray like Gila uses. I doubt any of them specify Rapid Tac.

so we called the supplier and they said that rapid tac should be fine, but they do recommend a baby soap and water mixture. They also said the streaks should disappear over time but it might just take a while depending on how much sun hits the window, how warm it is outside and the temperature inside. So fingers crossed it all goes away, and if not we will be redoing the job with the baby soap water mixture

unclebun

Rapid Tac has alcohols for faster drying and activating adhesive, and I suspect this leads to the streaking with the tint film.