• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Common embroidery font, any thoughts on what it is?

binki

note the serifs on the square ends of the letters and the square O's. We don't have it in our embroidery font library nor do I have anything real close to it. It is thinner than an athletic font.

Attachments

• font.jpg
    font.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 98

binki

Close enough, I did have that one but didn't think about it. It is real PITA (for me anyway) to digitize athletic fonts.

binki

All those extras on the letters takes a lot of time. I have an autodigitizer for fonts that works really well except for athletic fonts which come out really bad with satin stitching. Doing a oneoff with all those letters is pretty tedious. I was able to get the FLF to autodigitize pretty well so I am going with that one. Everything else I was able to do myself.

This is also a complicated design that has 3 layer twill, a second twill on top of that and embroidery. I should be done with it by tomorrow and I can post a pic of the finished garment.

WildWestDesigns

All those extras on the letters takes a lot of time. I have an autodigitizer for fonts that works really well except for athletic fonts which come out really bad with satin stitching. Doing a oneoff with all those letters is pretty tedious. I was able to get the FLF to autodigitize pretty well so I am going with that one. Everything else I was able to do myself.

This is also a complicated design that has 3 layer twill, a second twill on top of that and embroidery. I should be done with it by tomorrow and I can post a pic of the finished garment.

If you are referring to the serifs, the biggest different is going to be due to the final letter size. Sometimes the serifs are not separate items (when it comes to the smaller size (want to minimize the different stitch angles))

I've never been one for auto conversion, even though DrawStitch (I believe you use Wings) does have one of the better ones when it comes to fonts, but like you point out, it has it's shortcomings.

Do you have the module (or level) that will allow you to create fonts to be used in the embroidery program? If you have common fonts that you use that aren't already embroidery fonts, that may be the way to go to help with that. Digitize it once and then able to reuse it.

binki

Do you have the module (or level) that will allow you to create fonts to be used in the embroidery program? If you have common fonts that you use that aren't already embroidery fonts, that may be the way to go to help with that. Digitize it once and then able to reuse it.

I am not aware of that in Wings. I have the top level available but I am still learning stuff about digitizing. And you are right, the separate elements in the font make a big difference in the auto digitizing.

WildWestDesigns

I am not aware of that in Wings. I have the top level available but I am still learning stuff about digitizing. And you are right, the separate elements in the font make a big difference in the auto digitizing.

Wings Modular or Wings XP? Wings Modular has a Font Creator modular, but I am unsure of Wings XP.

binki

Wings XP. I can always call Mesa and ask about it. At some point I will probably purchase Wilcom.

LCJR

Binki font

note the serifs on the square ends of the letters and the square O's. We don't have it in our embroidery font library nor do I have anything real close to it. It is thinner than an athletic font.

It looks like a font I've used before simply called "Varsity" Try going online and type in Varsity font and see if that looks close

WildWestDesigns

Wings XP. I can always call Mesa and ask about it. At some point I will probably purchase Wilcom.

It looks like at at least with the latest version and the previous one that it was a digitizing option. I say the previous one as well, because the Font Creator option isn't listed as "new". I don't know what version of XP you have, if it's the latest (5 I think) or if it's earlier will determine if you can still get it.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of Wilcom and been a user for a long time and I've used various other programs over the years (including Wings modular, which I still keep a copy of). Plus I'm able to do more for my customers that have Wilcom (font creation for one, motif creation for another) that aren't DST files, but use Wilcom's ESA files (providing that they use the same version of Wilcom that I do, that changed with E3 unfortunately).

Attachments

• Font Creator Option.PNG
    Font Creator Option.PNG
    22.9 KB · Views: 102

binki

Here is the finished product. It is on the front of a hoodie.

3 layer twill with an insert on top of that, embroidery for the rest.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 78

Suz

Looks good. Those onsie twosie jobs are a lot of work, when they are not digitized already!

WildWestDesigns

Here is the finished product. It is on the front of a hoodie.

3 layer twill with an insert on top of that, embroidery for the rest.

Looking good.

Those onsie twosie jobs are a lot of work, when they are not digitized already!

Isn't that the truth. I do like the one offs a lot, typically able to do more artistic work then the corporate logos, but I hate it when they want to bring in their own files one the one offs that take 3 times longer then they should if it was properly digitized.

binki

Thanks, I don't have a laser and don't like the quality of the cutter on twill so I sew an outline and cut by hand. If I am doing enough of them I send it to Dalco for cutting.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks, I don't have a laser and don't like the quality of the cutter on twill so I sew an outline and cut by hand. If I am doing enough of them I send it to Dalco for cutting.

Really?

We run 3 cutters for applique pieces (2 of which are GX-24s, which appear to be one of the most hated cutters on the forum and yet we have had years of service out of them and still appear to be going strong) and I much rather use the cutter and heat press (the press is used to adhere the backing to the material that is going to be cut) to apply applique material then doing it by hand.

What angle is the blade that you are using and the settings when you try to cut the applique material? Are you putting any backing on the material to help stiffen it up and to run through the cutter?

Cyw

The font is similar to geoSlab (though not exactly the same) which, btw, is one of my favorite ttf's to auto digitize. Even though I have Wilcom, Wings and ICliqq, I still use a very old copy of DRAWings to auto digitize some fonts.
By far my favorite. I just love the stitch engine and how it 'thinks' in that ancient piece of software.
Here's GeoSlab with a little pull comp added.
Seriously not bad especially considering what a bad rep auto digitizing always gets.
Wilcom, IMHO, can't duplicate unless done manually or tweaked

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 93

WildWestDesigns

The font is similar to geoSlab (though not exactly the same) which, btw, is one of my favorite ttf's to auto digitize. Even though I have Wilcom, Wings and ICliqq, I still use a very old copy of DRAWings to auto digitize some fonts. By far my favorite. I just love the stitch engine and how it 'thinks' in that ancient piece of software.

Creative DRAWings and DRAWings Pro (which are the home versions made by the people that make Wings, I actually have a copy of version 4) does have one of the better font auto conversion (I can't say or type auto digitize, because the computers really aren't doing that with these programs). Which is good considering that they don't use any embroidery fonts themselves, but just pull fonts to use from your global Windows Font folder

Now, DRAWings does have issues with pathing, sequencing (most all auto conversion algorithms do with those two) and long stitches. Sometimes they will even screw up the shape of object if you aren't careful.

Seriously not bad especially considering what a bad rep auto digitizing always gets.

He does use Wings and I'm sure they use the same conversion engine that they have in their home software DRAWings and those do come out well. Very well with minimum tweaking, especially when you use normal size ranges. You go too big (chances of long stitches are their fill/step stitching) or too small (chances with having too many stitch angles in a small area with serif fonts, even some san serif basic block fonts).

But they still get a bad rep because you always have to go in and tweak things. Sometimes the computer converts really well and you don't have to tweak much, sometimes you have to tweak the whole thing. But you have to go in and individually see and tweak. There is still no comparison between the quality of a semi (semi automatic tools are your Input A, B (I wish they would get rid of this one), C; Fusion; Complex; Run; Triple Run; Backstitch etc) or totally manually digitized design compared to that that has auto conversion portions in it. It's not that good. And some things you have to do stitch by stitch. Wilcom, like you mentioned below, is by far the worst one of the programs that I have experienced when it comes to auto converting fonts. Any fonts that I use often (or want to use often) that I need multiple letters of, I will digitize that font to an embroidery ESA font. Far more options (click of a mouse, it can go left to right, to center out sequencing, that takes time to manually do that after either auto converting or digitizing it myself for one sequencing and then you need it for another).

Wilcom, IMHO, can't duplicate unless done manually or tweaked

When it comes to fonts, compared to DRAWings, if you are auto converting, yea, it doesn't work out much at all. I think that the biggest reason for that is that Wicom tries to use Fusion Fill for it's "global tool" for auto converting text and it doesn't segment text like it should. That is were DRAWings shines. It's one of the better ones that I have found out there.

binki

Really?

We run 3 cutters for applique pieces (2 of which are GX-24s, which appear to be one of the most hated cutters on the forum and yet we have had years of service out of them and still appear to be going strong) and I much rather use the cutter and heat press (the press is used to adhere the backing to the material that is going to be cut) to apply applique material then doing it by hand.

What angle is the blade that you are using and the settings when you try to cut the applique material? Are you putting any backing on the material to help stiffen it up and to run through the cutter?

we use 60 degree blades with the already backed twill from twill usa and just have no real luck with it. I am thinking of trying it again though since we are doing a lot of it now.