• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Company Name / Re-Upstart Help

S

SignTech

Hey all.

Well as many know ... in PA, my business name was Impact Signs and Graphix. The name worked well although I am no longer a fan of using an X for graphics. Anyway, that business was closed and I moved back to Rochester.

Back in Rochester I have been doing some sign installs under Sign Tech. Personally I love the name for both install services and for a new small scale signs and graphics business, BUT ... the name is taken in all formats i.e., .com, .net, .biz etc ...

So here is my question: After careful thought and research in my area, I am now purchasing from sign warehouse a cutter package (in the works) and still going to outsource any digital work. My focus this time around (getting back into the industry full time) will be vehicles mainly, and store fronts etc. at a much smaller, slower scale then when I was in PA. Fortunately I also have other accounts that stayed with me and loyal and willing to utilize my services such as Auto Zone, which is a good thing.

ISSUE: I have heard from some marketing sources that using ones personal NAME is never a good idea in choosing a business name (usually). What are your thoughts?

My last name is Lippa. So I could use Lippa Signs or Lippa Signs and Graphics.

Does it flow well? Or should I stay away from it all together? As I said I love Sign Tech ........ but there is no no easy use of it for a website presence and, online has always been a huge way for me to generate clients and show a portfolio.

I cannot and will not use Impact Signs and Graphix ever again.

What's your opinion (and or ideas) on names, especially using my last or first name?

Thanks .............. Mike

Marlene

Lippa Signs

Lippa Signs and Graphics (glad you are willing to get rid of that x thing as it is soooo over used)

try putting it to fonts to see what it looks like

Sign Tech is a nice name but I know other Sign Techs out there (I buy our ADA from one of the Sign Tech's)

SignTech & Graphics one word with graphics?

ML Signs and Graphics using your first and last name letters might work

ML Signs

picture answering the phone with the name or making a phone call "Hi, this is Mike from ML Signs" "Hi, this is Mike from Lippa Signs & graphics"

S

SignTech

Great start Marlene thank you ............ good starting input.

Billct2

I'm one that never liked personal names for sign companies (I once worked for "Whiteys Signs)
I like Sign Tech, but as you say it's pretty common.
Maybe something combined with it, Empire Signtech , NY Signtech, Signtech Graphics, Signtech Design

saktrnch

I went through a similar deal in the last few years.

Some of the things I thought of:

Name should be salable, just in case I make something out of this.
Name should be towards the top of the alphabet (who looks at the bottom of the list)
Name should be available for .com

I choose Best Choice. It was available in my state, on the web, and facebook.

Last edited:
S

SignTech

Great feedback so far ... I will be staying away from geographic specific names ... such as NY SignTech etc ... because by the time I hit 50 I will be in warmer areas of the country i.e, Virginia Beach / Carolina's area ........ etc.

Using my name would be easy to transport to any area of the country ... so still trying to keep it generic with respect to geography ...

Billct2

Really? I probably couldn't move 30 miles without losing a large part of my business, much less 1500 miles.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
M&L Signs

If it's going to be a fictional name, then it doesn't matter how you sport the letters around.

As for focusing on trucks.... good luck. I've found that after almost 40 years, that is one of the most competitive parts of this industry.

We all start out with the same conditions.... a blank canvas. Other than die cut vinyl, digitally printed vinyl or hand painted lettering and graphics.... we all start on an even playing field. You hafta be good and fast to remain on top. Otherwise it's like the 'Old West'.... there's always some new face on the horizon that's gonna try to out draw ya. [humph, that used to sound better when we all painted by hand and the draw actually meant something.... kinda loses it's punch in today's computer world].

Anyway, keep a good reputation like you've been working on and the name won't much matter. They'll just be looking for you if you remain a one-man show. That's all that counts. I don't care if they call me by someone else's name, I'll still do the work.

:thumb: on the equipment purchase.​

Jillbeans

Spell yer name backwards and be Appil Sign Company.
Everyone will notice it because they will think it's spelled wrong.
Use an apple in your logo but not like the computer one.
Or make it Lippy's Signs and use a big old sexy pair of lips, that is sure to bring in truckers.
Until they find your you're a guy.
Love....Jill

Border

Keep it as something that most people will know how to spell easily and with .com and .net availability...and buy/keep both domains under your ownership.

S

SignTech

Sure Bill ... moving never scares me ... and since moving to VA in 3 years will be my last move no worries.

Geeze Gino it was you that said just months ago the vehicle graphics business is best and in my experience 80% of what I have done is vehicles ... never had an issue keeping clients. I'm cautiously optimistic ... going back in (slow) ... but although a fresh start, it's not really a new start. I already have 4 vehicles to do, through friends etc ... that's why I decided to take the plunge again get some equip back. It's been 1.5 years since PA, it's now or never. I do like the M&L Look ........ idk ... have to see ... large commercial area I am in ... couple of sign shops ... one that's pretty good, one that blows ... for lack of a better word ... still never lost the itch after PA ..... job market sucks ... and ppl still asking for sign work ......... so here we go ...

S

SignTech

Yeah Border ............. definitely going way more simple then Impact Signs and Graphix ... was too much before .......

James Chrimes

I changed my business name a couple of years back when I took on a business partner. I went from Newport Sign Solutions to Bacon Graphics. ( Everybody Loves Bacon )
My business partner had owned his own marketing company for 11 years and I had owned the sign shop for 10.

Things we thought of when we made the change

we were going to offer many more services then just signs so we wanted to get away from the name that sugested only signs.

We wanted a name that we could have fun with and most importantly would be easy for people to rember.

a name that would come before many of our compatition.

I also am against using your persional name for a prof. business. I for one have never gone to Bob's Bank or Stanhopes Cinema's. Best of luck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sure Bill ... moving never scares me ... and since moving to VA in 3 years will be my last move no worries.

Geeze Gino it was you that said just months ago the vehicle graphics business is best and in my experience 80% of what I have done is vehicles ... never had an issue keeping clients. I'm cautiously optimistic ... going back in (slow) ... but although a fresh start, it's not really a new start. I already have 4 vehicles to do, through friends etc ... that's why I decided to take the plunge again get some equip back. It's been 1.5 years since PA, it's now or never. I do like the M&L Look ........ idk ... have to see ... large commercial area I am in ... couple of sign shops ... one that's pretty good, one that blows ... for lack of a better word ... still never lost the itch after PA ..... job market sucks ... and ppl still asking for sign work ......... so here we go ...

I didn't say it wasn't productive, I said it's tough to stay on top. It's very competitive. We've been specializing in truck lettering for about 29 years now. In the early 80's I had several hand-painters working in our shop. We were putting out as many as 10 trucks a week.... on a good week. As the computer came along, I needed less guys, but the truck fever has never left me. I think trucks are my favorite. Back then for only pennies invested.... you could make $300 to $400 in a day on one. Today, you have about $25. to $200 invested in your vinyl and you still make about $450 to $750 a truck. Wraps, same thing..... for your total investment, you're still gonna make a good buck when it's all done. You just have to stay a well oiled machine to stay at the top..... and I think you can do it. That's why the good luck, earlier.

S

SignTech

I hear ya loud n Clear Gino ........... this time gonna go (extremely slow) ..... not jumping in too heavy ... :)

S

SignTech

Gino ... by the way to give you a gauge ... if I generate $300 a week after expenses I will be happy ........... no where near the PA scale ...

Craig Sjoquist

You can be any name ya like ... your reputation is what sells.... Mike Lippa de sign or likes Jills suggestion Appil signs with the apple logo

yes there is a New Tech Sign here.

klemgraphics

Gino ... by the way to give you a gauge ... if I generate $300 a week after expenses I will be happy ........... no where near the PA scale ...
I would set my goals a little higher than that, but I think the truck and vehicle market can be good. For big rigs especially though you have to be quick, most won't wait a week or so for you to have time to get to them.

Good luck

S

SignTech

yes Craig I agree reputation matters .... I think I built a decent one in PA ... just want to get away from Impact Signs and Graphix ......... was way too long ... def going to stay away from actual name I think ... maybe "Crappy Graphics" ?