• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Comparation Summa DC4 vs Roland vp-540

bpgraphics

Hi:
We are planning this year to buy a printer and cutter. We need to make several kinds of signs:
Banners,
Vinyl Signs,
Poster in paper
Transfer in T-shirt
Label and Decal

Can you give me the advantages and disadvantages of the Summa DC4 vs
Roland Vp=540

Thank you
Vic

Poconopete

Welcome from PA
You are trying to compare apples and oranges. The Summa is a thermal printer that has it's place but for what you want to do you would be better off with the Roland i.e. print speed and ink cost.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Why are you considering a DC4? The Summa DC4 and Roland VP-540 are not used for the same range of signage.

Is this the same person from the other day asking about a DC4 and Roland? Odd that these same questions are coming up multiple times in less than a week.

You should be considering an Epson GS6000 and a Summa or Graphtec 64" cutter instead.

The only thing out of the list that the Summa has an advantage over the inkjet (roland) is Labels and Decals. However a Gerber Edge FX or an older model would be better and cheaper or even a DC4sx which is Summa's 30" model.

Posters should be printed on a photo printer or a printing press. Or at a minimum a 6 color solvent printer and neither the DC4 or VP540 is the appropriate machine for that job either.

PGSigns

I have a DC4SX and a DC4 would not be a good printer for what you want to do. I would do part of it real well and some of it real poorly. Labels and smaller decals it will do a great job. Small banners ok and printing on clear just fine. The bigger stuff you want to do you need an sovent based inkjet. The posters on paper should be done a a machine for that type of work. I agree with the Epson recomendation and a seperate cutter that would get you closer to what you are looking to do than the two you are comparing.
Jimmy

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I hate ...

say what you mean.

There is nothing to compare. They are not used for the same signage printing. The DC4 is a giant Gerber Edge thermal printer. The Roland is a giant inkjet printer.

If you don't know the basic difference you should not buy either.